Q. What could be the reason for abdominal pain and bloating?

Dr. Ruchi Sharma

I have bloating and pain in the right side of the abdomen. I have shared my X-rays with you. Do you find anything abnormal in my abdominal X-ray?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern and reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) of air-filled bowel loops that are more in the right lower abdomen and pelvis. Also, two faint radio-opaque shadows are noted adjacent to the right transverse process of the L2 vertebral body that could be small renal calculi or artefactual. Calculi because they are seen in the region where a right kidney would normally be situated, and artefactual because their density is not the same as it should be for a true calculus. An ultrasound would help in such a scenario. Apart from this, no other obvious abnormality is noted in the given X-ray, such as free air under the domes of the diaphragm, significant air-fluid levels in the bowel seen in an X-ray in intestinal obstruction, soft tissue shadows seen in case of bowel calcifications apart from renal. Also, L1 to L4 lumbar vertebral bodies appear normal here. L5 is not seen clearly because the overlying bowel loops obscure it.

In case you are still symptomatic, I suggest you get an ultrasound of the whole abdomen because ultrasound has a far greater sensitivity than a plain X-ray for ruling out small calculi and inflammatory pathologies of bowel or soft tissues, which might be causing pain and tenderness in this region. These lesions can be easily missed on an X-ray.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|