Q. How to proceed with the blood cancer treatment for my 8-year-old son?

Dr. Durairaj Arjunan

Hello sir... My son is 8and half years old.. from his birth he has cold cough problem that we took cbc in that it came normal but wbc use to have 22300 from birth till 3 months back, and after that he s unable to walk and got severe fever and cold and shiverish and he cant able to walk and i consult with doctor who s a child specialist he said me to take a cbc and i gone through cbc test. In that wbc shows 58000 Doctor said me to take scan and i done scan in that it shows he has a plural effusion fluids in that they send for fluid test but the trst reports are not yet came but the doctor started treatment for chemotherapy by saying he has a blood cancer ... They took bone marrow biopsy in that it shows negative... My doubt is to ask u about sir s...... doing chemotherapy done before fluid report came s right or not... Report not yet came but cbc everyday took is rapidly increasing... And still fluid test not yet came.. now doctor sayin that they have to do bone marrow transplant i have a younger kids age under 3 doctor saying that siblings match in blood test will have to be a donor for the oerson affected... U pls give me a suggestion and help me from this ols sir or madam

#

Dear,

Your son may have leukemia and there are so many types of lukemia. Just with CBC leukemia cannot be confirmed. And there are multiple tests that has to be done. Fluid tests may not show positive results in a single test. It may be repeated. They must have done flow cytometry and thta will give you better idea regarding the condition.

Is he having fever or any other complaints? sore those?

Bone marrow transplantation will be done only after subtyping leukemia. Chemotherapy will be usually started after knowing diagnosis but if child is sick enough or if it is not going to affect the test result, they may start chemo early and wait for the test results.

Hope it's useful. let me know with some more details. I would like to give my opinion.

|