Q. Will chemotherapy work for prostate cancer in an elderly patient?

Dr. Vivek Chail

My relative aged 82 years is suffering from prostate cancer. It was discovered one year ago. Surgery was done eight months ago, and it is still spreading. He is not diabetic. Will chemo might be fatal?

#

I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

It is important to know when the cancer spread was first detected. If it has spread to involve other areas then it is likely to be stage 4 cancer. I have served in a cancer institute for years and have seen many patients like him getting chemotherapy to prolong life. Liver and kidney functions and general condition should be maintained during treatment. Radiation also helps many patients.

Usually, the survival of a patient with advanced stage cancer is not more than two years with good care and treatment. This is an average and rarely patients might survive to three to five years.

Chemotherapy and radiation therapy might help to extend the life of the patient and slow the disease progression but cannot cure cancer.

At the age of 82 years, it is important to give him good nutrition and diet with proteins and vitamins. Pain relief is important for him and this is to be discussed with his doctor. Please see that he is comfortable.

Hope this answers your question.

|