My repeat urine culture reports are normal after taking antibiotics for infection, but I still got blood in my urine. What could be the reason?

Q. What could be the reason for blood in urine even after taking antibiotics for an infection?

Dr. Madhav Tiwari
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 27, 2022 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2023

I have had an intense burning sensation when urinating, and a test was done, and the result showed the presence of a few bacteria. The doctor advised me to take antibiotics, and the test was repeated after a few days, and the result was normal. But after five to six days, I noticed blood in my urine. The culture was repeated two days ago, but the result was normal. The bleeding is still there. If the infection is cleared, can the bleeding be lingering irritation to the bladder or urethra? How long can that last? Kindly help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern. From your culture report, I can see that it has grown Enterococcus which is sensitive to a few drugs like Macrobid (clarithromycin) is not one of them. I would suggest you take tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice a day for seven days, it should clear out your infection, tablet Cranpac (Cranberry extract) twice daily for one month, tablet Econorm (Saccharomyces Boulardii) twice daily for one month, and tablet Urispaz (flavoxate hydrochloride) twice daily for five days. This will take care of the intense burning sensation that you are experiencing. Please answer the following questions regarding the blood in urine: Is the entire urine mixed with blood, or is it only at the beginning or the end? Do you have any pain in your loins or in your lower abdomen during peeing? Do you have a fever? Do you have complaints of vaginal discharge? Did your doctor order an ultrasound scan of the kidney and bladder? Are you diabetic?

Kindly revert for more queries.

Thank you for your reply.

The Macrobid was nitrofurantoin - the doctor said it was sensitive to the bacteria. I have not had intense burning pain for many days; only the urine has red or pink blood at the beginning or end. There is no pain while urinating or fever, or any discharge. I am not diabetic. If the infection is not gone, more antibiotics might be needed, but if it is gone can, the urethra be irritated and inflamed. Could that cause the intermittent bleeding when I pee or wipe, and can that last a while even after antibiotics are done? Kindly help.

#

It is unlikely for you to have blood in your urine if the infection is settled. Did your doctor do a physical examination of your urethra and vaginal area? Please use only Cranpac D and Econorm if you do not have any burning. It will help clear your urine. I would also suggest you get an ultrasound to ensure we are not missing something.

|