Q. Will using diaper cause urine infection and fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

My baby is 11 months old. She is having on and off fever for a week. Her doctor prescribed antibiotic along with Paracetamol syrup. But, she does not like to have antibiotics. So, I only gave her Paracetamol. Is it because of that her fever is still not going? She had ear pain last week. But, now the doctor says that everything is fine with her ear. I make her wear a diaper when I put her sleep. Will using diaper cause urinary infection and fever? She drinks only a little water but urinates about 10 to 15 times a day. She is currently on Fepanil 250 mg 2.5 mL during fever, Erox CV 2 mL twice a day for five days and Oxycure P nasal drops. She is 9 kg now.

#

• Fever is defined as the temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the body. You have to measure with a thermometer to say so. Merely touching the forehead of the child and finding it warm does not mean it is a fever. Children's foreheads are warm always.
  • Most of the time fever even if present in children is due to viral infection. So, it is fine that you have not given an antibiotic.
  • Children may pass urine and stool 10 to 15 times a day, and it is normal.
  • Using diapers may cause urinary tract infection, specifically in females if the fecal matter and urine in the diaper are left unattended for a long time.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|