Q. Is there any alternative test for cardiac catheterization?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

I have been having many issues in the last two years. My main issue right now is that I get a weird feeling in my stomach like I want to growl but I cannot. I am having shortness of breath, numbness of hands, tingling and heavy feeling. I feel like passing out and my heart starts to race. I usually burp when I get these feelings. I cannot walk far distances and these started happening about a week ago. I have had two stress tests. The first one was six months ago with heart echo. I wore a Holter monitor for a month and had several EKGs but nothing found in all of them. Now recently I have had my blood pressure shoot up and I am currently on blood pressure medicines. I am 35 years old and overweight. I have lost about 100 lbs and I am at 265. My other issues that I have been diagnosed were diverticulitis, gallbladder dyskinesia, gastritis and GERD. My cardiologist wants to do a cardiac catheterization next. Is there are any other alternative test that are not so invasive? Also really do I need it? These attacks I get are very scary and I have ended up in it several times but nothing was found. Could this be something else? I have read about vagus nerve issues as well as stomach issues that can cause similar symptoms. Should I get the cardiac catheterization test?

#

• Stomach feelings can be due to diverticulitis (infected pouches in the colon) and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
  • There is a possibility of Stokes-Adams syndrome (sudden collapse and unconsiousness). Get a carotid sensitivity test (only massage over carotids but under hospital monitoring).
  • Doing catheterization will rule out cardiac causes and you will feel relaxed, do both coronary angiogram and EP (electrophysiology) study.
  • Check with ENT as some have internal ear problem while having high BP. Also test your hemoglobin level.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

My mother does not complain of chest pain, but her ECG is abnormal. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 65 years old and diabetic for the last 15 to 20 years. During her last blood and urine test, there were some issues with lipid profile test apart from sugar fasting and PP. When doctor performed ECG, there was some problem with that also. Now the doctor had recommended CAG. M...  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»