Please suggest an alternative test for cardiac catheterization.

Q. Is there any alternative test for cardiac catheterization?

Answered by
Dr. Prashant Valecha
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2023

Hi doctor,

I have been having many issues in the last two years. My main issue right now is that I get a weird feeling in my stomach like I want to growl but I cannot. I am having shortness of breath, numbness of hands, tingling and heavy feeling. I feel like passing out and my heart starts to race. I usually burp when I get these feelings. I cannot walk far distances and these started happening about a week ago. I have had two stress tests. The first one was six months ago with heart echo. I wore a Holter monitor for a month and had several EKGs but nothing found in all of them. Now recently I have had my blood pressure shoot up and I am currently on blood pressure medicines. I am 35 years old and overweight. I have lost about 100 lbs and I am at 265. My other issues that I have been diagnosed were diverticulitis, gallbladder dyskinesia, gastritis and GERD. My cardiologist wants to do a cardiac catheterization next. Is there are any other alternative test that are not so invasive? Also really do I need it? These attacks I get are very scary and I have ended up in it several times but nothing was found. Could this be something else? I have read about vagus nerve issues as well as stomach issues that can cause similar symptoms. Should I get the cardiac catheterization test?



Welcome to

Control of blood pressure (BP) is must as it may cause these kind of things or you may have a postural drop of BP. Stomach feelings can be due to diverticulitis (infected pouches in the colon) and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). There is a possibility of Stokes-Adams syndrome (sudden collapse and unconsiousness). Get a carotid sensitivity test (only massage over carotids but under hospital monitoring). Doing catheterization will rule out cardiac causes and you will feel relaxed, do both coronary angiogram and EP (electrophysiology) study. Check with ENT (otorhinolaryngologist) as some have internal ear problem while having high BP. Also test your hemoglobin level.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Do I have sinus bradycardia based on the reports?

ESR, EDTA whole blood - first hour : 21 mm/hr (32 mm/hr last year) ... Also, when I had my health check-up in the same year, I had an elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, so I take cholesterol medicine (Rosuvas 10) and   Read full

Echocardiogram shows grade 1 diastolic dysfunction. Kindly advise.

It occurs when left ventricle muscle is hypertrophied due to increased blood pressure ... Control blood pressure and it will be fine wi   Read full

What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation?

.. occurring in this age group needs evaluation like an echocardiogram, cardiac stress test, coronary angiography to rule out coronary artery disease. Next, I guess you do not have any other diseases like diabetes, hypertension, or stroke.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.