Cardiac Catheterization

Is CT coronary angiography better than catheter based investigation for heart blocks?

Query: Hello doctor,320 slice CT scan machines have been introduced in my country. It is claimed that a CT coronary angiography done on such a machine will pinpoint accurately the blocks in the heart. Rendering a catheter based investigation unnecessary. Can you confirm whether this is true?  Read Full »

Dr. K. Murali

Interventional Radiologist, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not always true. Even today catheter angiography is the gold standard. CTA (computed tomography coronary angiogram) is a good screening tool to evaluate coronary blocks in high-risk asymptomatic patients or to assess preoperative cardiac fitness in some patients a...  Read Full »

Please suggest an alternative test for cardiac catheterization.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having many issues in the last two years. My main issue right now is that I get a weird feeling in my stomach like I want to growl but I cannot. I am having shortness of breath, numbness of hands, tingling and heavy feeling. I feel like passing out and my heart starts to race....  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Control of blood pressure (BP) is must as it may cause these kind of things or you may have a postural drop of BP. Stomach feelings can be due to diverticulitis (infected pouches in the colon) and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). There is a possibility of Stokes-Ad...  Read Full »

Do I require a surgery to patch my secundum atrial septal defect?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with 3.3 cm secundum ASD in the right atrium. The catheterization process failed to patch the ASD and now the cardiologist is advising a surgical process. Is this correct? There are no symptoms of chest pain. No breathing or lifestyle i...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is certainly possible. It is a large ASD (atrial septal defect). One can patch the ASD up to around 3.6 cm, but it also depends on multiple factors like rims available to hold the...  Read Full »