Q. Please advice on my blood reports.

Dr. Ohams Henry
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 17, 2019

I did the blood test a few days ago, and the reports state that,

1) Monocytes 0.19.

2) Red cell distribution width 46.7.

3) Platelet distribution width 21.

4) Mean platelet volume 13.4.

5) Platelet to large cell ratio 50.5.

Kindly advice.

Dr. Ohams Henry

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

The test is not specific. You need to specify why it was done and what your symptoms are. The test indicates macrocytosis larger platelet than usual, red cell distribution width is higher than normal (11.5 to 14.5). This indicates that your bone marrow which produces all the blood cells such as red blood cells, platelets and granulocyte white blood cells (neutrophils, eosinophils, basophils) and monocyte is not getting enough vitamin B 12 (cyanocobalamin) and folic acid.

I do not know are you anemic since there is no indication of red blood cell count there. The cause can be from not getting enough folic acid and vitamin B 12 in your diet, or your intestine does not absorb enough B 12 vitamin, a condition called pernicious anemia from lack of intrinsic factor needed for their absorption. You may be a vegetarian because if you eat enough meat, you would not be having folate and B 12 deficiency.You may have vitamin B12 and folic acid tablets.

Can chest pain result from vitamin B12 deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.  Read Full »

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?

Query: Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it? I am afraid of this. Please help me.  Read Full »

I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia. Every time I walk up the stairs or walk I feel like I am running out of breath. I could hear my heart throbbing in my right ear. It started four months back. I am obsessed also. Please let me know what is going on. Currently, I am...  Read Full »