Q. What could cause breathing problems, sleep apnea, body ache, headache, restlessness during sleep, and body itching in a person?

Dr. Geetha S

I have a breathing problem, sleep apnea, body ache, headache, restlessness during sleep, and body itching.

#

The root cause of all your symptoms is your high BMI (body mass index). In general, patients with high BMI will have more fat around the neck which compresses their airways and cause sudden stoppage of breathing and snoring. Because of your poor sleep quality, you will feel tired and have a headache in the morning and throughout the day. The solution is to reduce weight, get a sleep study done and start on the CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine overnight after consulting with a sleep specialist. Do not ignore this issue because it can lead to increased sugar levels, uncontrolled blood pressure, and heart problems.

The investigation is to be done with a sleep study (level 1,2).

The probable diagnosis can be obstructive sleep apnea.

The treatment plan includes weight reduction and CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure).

The preventive measures include weight reduction.

Follow-up after the sleep study.

|