Q. My daughter feels body pain, headache, and chill after two weeks of flu shot. How to get her temperature normal?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My 15-year-old very healthy, active and fit daughter had the flu shot two weeks ago. Today she woke up this morning with lethargic, chills, shivering, cough, headache and body aches. She is sleeping on and off. Eating a little. It is unusual for her to get anything. No medications or health issues, although she fainted after the flu shot that may have been the needle itself. She was ok after that. Her temperature has been 38, dropped to 36 after Nurofen and is 37.2 again. Medicine is wearing off after 2 pm.

Do you have a question on Body Temperature or Paracetamol?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

MBBS ., CCEBDM., DIPLOMA IN DIABETES MELLITUS., DIPLOMA IN CLINICAL NUTRITION & DIETETICS.., CCDR., CCMTD
Diabetology General Practitioner

Attack of flu is unlikely to come. However, it is possible to have some other viral infection leading to such symptoms like fever, cold, running nose, chills, and temperature. In such a situation, it is better to use a drug like Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) 10 mg per kg per dose three to four times a day to control fever and headache, which may be present.

Plus an antihistamine like Cetirizine 10 mg once a day, or Allegra (Fexofenadine) 60 mg once a day also is good. Also give enough oral liquids, preferably oral rehydration solution about a liter per day. This treatment should be continued for three to four days. There is no need for an antibiotic.

Also Read Answers From: Body Temperature Paracetamol Flu

What can I apply to my body to decrease sweating and look fresh?
Query: Hello doctor, I am sweating too much I guess. I am not sure if it is because of the heat here but I sweat. Pleae sugget me something which I can apply to my body. So it does not sweat much and I look fresh and I do not smell.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely because of weather only and body sweats in order to keep body temperature down. So naturally if you try to stay in cold environment as much as possible this will automatically reduce. However, for reducing perspiration, you should ask for Aluminum chlori...  Read Full »

Certain fluid is coming out of vagina after unprotected sex. Is I-pill required?
Query: Hello doctor,I had unprotected sex yesterday but my partner is not sure if he withdrew on time. Today morning I felt certain fluid coming out of my vagina. Should I take an I-pill to avoid pregnancy? Will it cause any side effects in later stages? My menstrual date is around 7th of each month. Also,...  Read Full »
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would be better if you take regular cyclic contraceptives instead of emergency for few months generally. At present emergency contraceptive pills to be taken to be on safe side as millions of sperms in 1 to 2 most of semen and only one sperm enough to give pregnan...  Read Full »

Paracetamol for Fever
Query: Hello doctor, Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Very much impressed by your query. Yes as you said, fever is an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection. Most of the time Paracetamol is not needed if body temperature is not crossing >102 degree F. But any temperature >102 degree...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now