Q. I have chest tightness with a history of breast cancer in my family. Am I prone to cancer?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2021

I am a 39-year-old female. I am fatigued, sluggish, difficulty concentrating, migraines, and difficulty regulating temperature. I have periodic tightness in the chest and fluttering sensation. My EKG, CT chest, and chest x-ray are normal and the COVID test is negative.

My Vitamin B12, folate, and vitamin D were low. I started supplements last month and levels are in normal range now, but I still have symptoms. Borderline low white count, ABS lymphocyte count, and slightly high platelets. I was diagnosed with lupus as a teenager but then in the early 20's I was told that I do not have it. My father died at the age of 59 of a sudden catastrophic event, possibly a heart attack. Also my D-dimer was slightly elevated and so was my sedimentation rate.

I have a history of cancer in the family, especially breast cancer. So, I am more concerned about cancer. I am currently on 
Lamictal, Lexapro, and birth control pill.

#

Your reports are normal nothing seems worrisome (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Since you have a family history of breast cancer, you should get a mammogram done. Also get your BRCA gene (breast cancer gene) tests done. It is a blood test and if it is positive then it means high chances of getting cancer in the future. If it is negative, it is good.

Also, you should take supplements and should stop birth control pills, they can also cause cancer sometimes. You should use a mechanical method of contraception like condoms, and should do regular exercises to reduce your weight too.

|