Q. I have chest tightness with a history of breast cancer in my family. Am I prone to cancer?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

I am a 39-year-old female. I am fatigued, sluggish, difficulty concentrating, migraines, and difficulty regulating temperature. I have periodic tightness in the chest and fluttering sensation. My EKG, CT chest, and chest x-ray are normal and the COVID test is negative.

My Vitamin B12, folate, and vitamin D were low. I started supplements last month and levels are in normal range now, but I still have symptoms. Borderline low white count, ABS lymphocyte count, and slightly high platelets. I was diagnosed with lupus as a teenager but then in the early 20's I was told that I do not have it. My father died at the age of 59 of a sudden catastrophic event, possibly a heart attack. Also my D-dimer was slightly elevated and so was my sedimentation rate.

I have a history of cancer in the family, especially breast cancer. So, I am more concerned about cancer. I am currently on 
Lamictal, Lexapro, and birth control pill.

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Your reports are normal nothing seems worrisome (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Since you have a family history of breast cancer, you should get a mammogram done. Also get your BRCA gene (breast cancer gene) tests done. It is a blood test and if it is positive then it means high chances of getting cancer in the future. If it is negative, it is good.

Also, you should take supplements and should stop birth control pills, they can also cause cancer sometimes. You should use a mechanical method of contraception like condoms, and should do regular exercises to reduce your weight too.

| 

Related Video

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Can birth control cause white milky discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old female and I was on the birth control pill Aviane for almost two years. I never had any negative symptoms and had an overall good experience but I decided to stop taking it after ending my relationship because I would no longer be sexually active. About four weeks a...  Read Full »

I have gained a lot of weight. Can this be due to my birth control pill?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old female. I have been prescribed by my gynecologist and have taken Larissia and Lutera birth control for four years now because back then, I had incredibly heavy and frequent periods (like a period every two weeks). Since four years, I have gained a lot of weight. Gra...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now