Q. I took birth control pills and have spotting when I wipe. Please help.

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2019

I have spotting but it is only when I wipe. It seems like it is stuck or something is there. My lower back hurts. Something is seriously wrong. Pease help. Currently, I took birth control pills.

#

I do not know how long you have been on contraceptive pills and which one these are? Either combined oral contraceptive pills or mini-pills have Progesterone only. Combined pills have lots of side effects especially for females with high BMI (body mass index) while Progesterone only pills show irregular bleeding. It depends on every individual females body (that how long and how much you get bleeding).

Have some healthy lifestyle. Try to avoid long-term use of same contraceptives to avoid its side effects. Have some investigations and have proper treatment. Try to reduce BMI by having daily exercise and walk as this will help you to prevent side effects of many things. Try to change contraceptives. Have full treatment of any disease, if you have any.

A healthy nutritious diet with recreational activities and avoidance of recreational drug if you are using occasionally. Have local examination by gynecologist doctor even hysteroscopy to exclude any local pathology. Get a transvaginal scan, colonoscopy clinic visit to exclude cervical pathology, complete blood count, thyroid function test, and high vaginal swab.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »

Does spotting after I-pill rule out pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife started her last menstrual cycle on the 22nd of the previous month. We had protected sex on the 27th of the previous month. Unfortunately, the condom ruptured but, I was able to pull it out a few seconds before ejaculating. Just to be safe, she took an I-pill seven hours after ...  Read Full »

Can spotting be a sign of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and got married a year ago. We are trying for a baby for the last three months. My LMP was on the 9th of last month. I never faced issues with my menstrual cycle. It is a regular 29 day cycle. We had an unprotected sex from 17th to 25th for every alternate day. I have ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»