Q. Is invasive intraductal breast carcinoma curable?

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2022

My mother has been recently diagnosed with invasive intraductal breast carcinoma. I am currently outside the city and have not seen the reports. But, she told me that it is malignant and has spread to two lymph nodes. There is no metastasis. Doctors have told me to start chemotherapy for four months, followed by surgery. I need to know how bad the condition is and is it curable?

#

I would like to see the reports. But, as per your history, if it has already spread to lymph nodes, it has locally advanced. In such cases, what is usually done is to give new adjuvant chemotherapy followed by surgery and radiotherapy.

Though I have limited information, the stage would be at least II, might be III also. Breast cancer has different subtypes based on its molecular profile, and treatment might also differ according to that. What I told you is a general outline.

Yes, it can be cured in around 70 to 80 percent in this stage. But, depending on other adverse factors, the figure may come down to 50.

|