Q. Is it right to have chemotherapy for stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar
Published on Nov 21, 2018

The first case of cancer was on stage 3 ER+ invasive cancer of the left breast. Now, it is in stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma, with results of ER positive, PR positive, and HER2 with equivocal recurrent cancer. The site of disease is present on the abdominal lymph nodes and omentum with ascites and pleural effusions. Is the current treatment right? Are there any other tests recommended that helps to find more information? Any further recommendations required? Should we need to try clinical trials or immunotherapy? Please help.

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is appropriate to use chemotherapy at this juncture. The HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) result is mentioned as equivocal. So please do a FISH test (fluorescence in-situ hybridization) to find out whether it is positive or negative. After chemotherapy, consider doing a maintenance hormonal therapy. Immunotherapy in breast cancer is still in infancy, and promising results are seen in triple negative breast cancer women. I will not suggest a clinical trial at this juncture.

For breast cancer, should we do chemo first or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has de...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are my suggestions: Assuming that you want to undergo full treatment, the best method would be to start chemo and radiotherapy. The cycles of chemotherapy will depend on the medicine chosen by your oncologist. This will reduce the tumor size. Then go ahead with th...  Read Full

What can I possibly do to cure my constantly running nose?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a constant runny and congested nose since three years. After years of trying anything possible and seeing several doctors, I was finally diagnosed with a severe dust allergy, as well as asthma by last year. At that time I was pregnant, so I could not be prescribed any medicatio...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Allergy and asthma belong to airway hyper-reactive disorders are inter-related. The two are hypersensitivity reactions and are genetically determined. A permanent cure for allergy remained evasive for a long time, but now with the advent of immunotherapy, a tr...  Read Full

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rakesh Mittal
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Diarrhea could be due to surgery or chemotherapy or both. Normally, the patients should not have this much diarrhea. If it remains uncontrolled, you may have to stop chemotherapy for some days.Weight loss is common in this condition. After chemotherapy, he should be fine. A...  Read Full

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now