Q. Is it right to have chemotherapy for stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma?

Dr. Kumar Varadarajan Senthil

The first case of cancer was on stage 3 ER+ invasive cancer of the left breast. Now, it is in stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma, with results of ER positive, PR positive, and HER2 with equivocal recurrent cancer. The site of disease is present on the abdominal lymph nodes and omentum with ascites and pleural effusions. Is the current treatment right? Are there any other tests recommended that helps to find more information? Any further recommendations required? Should we need to try clinical trials or immunotherapy? Please help.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is appropriate to use chemotherapy at this juncture. The HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) result is mentioned as equivocal. So please do a FISH test (fluorescence in-situ hybridization) to find out whether it is positive or negative. After chemotherapy, consider doing a maintenance hormonal therapy. Immunotherapy in breast cancer is still in infancy, and promising results are seen in triple negative breast cancer women. I will not suggest a clinical trial at this juncture.

|