Q. Is it right to have chemotherapy for stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

The first case of cancer was on stage 3 ER+ invasive cancer of the left breast. Now, it is in stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma, with results of ER positive, PR positive, and HER2 with equivocal recurrent cancer. The site of disease is present on the abdominal lymph nodes and omentum with ascites and pleural effusions. Is the current treatment right? Are there any other tests recommended that helps to find more information? Any further recommendations required? Should we need to try clinical trials or immunotherapy? Please help.

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is appropriate to use chemotherapy at this juncture. The HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) result is mentioned as equivocal. So please do a FISH test (fluorescence in-situ hybridization) to find out whether it is positive or negative. After chemotherapy, consider doing a maintenance hormonal therapy. Immunotherapy in breast cancer is still in infancy, and promising results are seen in triple negative breast cancer women. I will not suggest a clinical trial at this juncture.

| 

Related Video

What is the first treatment choice for breast cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has de...  Read Full »

What can I possibly do to cure my constantly running nose?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a constant runny and congested nose since three years. After years of trying anything possible and seeing several doctors, I was finally diagnosed with a severe dust allergy, as well as asthma by last year. At that time I was pregnant, so I could not be prescribed any medicatio...  Read Full »

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now