Q. Cannot breastfeed since breast pores are blocked. Please help.

Dr. Shilpi Rajnish Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 11, 2018

My child is 4 months old. Since birth, he is on formula feed because my breast pores have been blocked. I really want to breastfeed him. Please suggest a way to feed my child.

#

It is a common problem which women face. An underwired bra or any kind of pressure on the breast could have caused a plugged milk duct.

It is recommended to position the baby's chin pointing to the lump and to change the baby's feeding position.

Unplug the duct by taking steam or manually preparing the breast for feeding the child, try to unplug it with some moist heat pack, massage, pumping, and nursing.

Once you start feeding, it will start unplugging without any additional effort.

Before nursing, gently massage your breast with hot water steam. Do try this and it will help you a lot.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Is Paracetamol safe for breastfeeding mothers?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 32 years old. We have a 5 month old baby girl. My wife is still feeding our baby. From yesterday, my wife has a fever, cold and throat infection. Can she take Paracetamol? Will it affect baby in any way? My wife's temperature is 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit.  Read Full »

How can I increase my breast milk production?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a 1-month-old baby. I am giving breast milk and formula milk to my baby due to insufficient breast milk. However, my breast milk was not too low. I used to provide formula feed for one or two feeds. Before three days back, I was sick, and so I could not breastfeed my baby for...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»