Q. My wife is a breastfeeding mother. Can she take Paracetamol for fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

My wife is 32 years old. We have a 5 month old baby girl. My wife is still feeding our baby. From yesterday, my wife has a fever, cold and throat infection. Can she take Paracetamol? Will it affect baby in any way? My wife's temperature is 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

First of all, temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit is regarded as fever and not below that. Baby is supposed to be breastfed at all times. However, if the mother is suffering from a disease, it is advised for her to wear a mask and feed. Because, that is the route by which infection from the mother can be passed on to the baby and not through milk. Paracetamol taken by the mother in the prescribed doses will not harm the baby.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full »

While breastfeeding, can I get my damaged tooth out?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 4-month-baby boy. I am doing breastfeeding. My tooth is entirely damaged. So I am planning to remove my tooth. Is it correct or not? I am taking medicine for it. Please tell me a suggestion.  Read Full »

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »