Q. My wife is a breastfeeding mother. Can she take Paracetamol for fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

My wife is 32 years old. We have a 5 month old baby girl. My wife is still feeding our baby. From yesterday, my wife has a fever, cold and throat infection. Can she take Paracetamol? Will it affect baby in any way? My wife's temperature is 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

#

First of all, temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit is regarded as fever and not below that. Baby is supposed to be breastfed at all times. However, if the mother is suffering from a disease, it is advised for her to wear a mask and feed. Because, that is the route by which infection from the mother can be passed on to the baby and not through milk. Paracetamol taken by the mother in the prescribed doses will not harm the baby.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|