Breast Milk

Is it fine to spoon feed formula milk for a three weeks old?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete mo...  Read Full »

My 40 days old daughter is crying day and night inspite of having Colicaid. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 40 days old and she is crying a lot day and night. When consulted a doctor he prescribed Colicaid, and I am giving the same till now but there is no difference. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope your baby is fine. The dictum you have to follow in baby care is to remember, a crying infant is a hungry infant. Secondly, neve ever bottlefeed and give only breast milk. If you still decide to give formula feeds, feed it with a spoon or baby sipper and give ...  Read Full »

How can I make my baby have Formula milk without sugar?

Query: Hello doctor, I have 3.5 months old baby. I do not have sufficient breastmilk, hence, was giving fomula milk. Baby was not satisfied with the taste of formula milk and was never having it properly, so one day my mother added sugar to formula milk and since that day my baby is having formula milk as...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can keep reducing the sugar content of the milk slowly slowly until you reach a stage where there is no sugar in the milk. Also, you can check for your current milk output to see if even little is there. If even a little is there, please give the child breast for...  Read Full »

I have cracked nipples that have failed to heal and I am not able to nurse my baby. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have cracked nipples that have failed to heal for the past five weeks. I am a nursing mother, and I am not able to feed.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please apply Purelan 100 (Lanolin) to the cracked nipples and express the milk to prevent engorgement and feed the baby that milk (store in hygienic conditions) along with some top feeds if required. Reduce the latching of the baby to enhance healing. Till you have h...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to exclusively pump breast milk?

Query: Hello doctor, Why more mothers are choosing to exclusively pump their breast milk? How does it work for them? Kindly explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mostly breast pumps are used by mothers who need to prepare for the child in advance due to their business. Most of the working ladies are using breast pumps to empty the breast in advance and to have milk as per need. Breast pump helps to maintain breast production by ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to give water along with mixed feeding to a new born?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin, a newborn baby, was born four days before, male, 51 cm and 3.1 kg. He is crying, and we think that he cannot poop. He drinks breast milk. And every time he farts he cries and, we thought he has a hard time getting it out. I would also like to ask if he is allowed to drink ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that a child may cry either because he is hungry, has passed urine or stool, or wants to seek attention. Take note of the same. Other than that whatever you have described is normal and it persists till the age of six months. Hence do not worry. Giving w...  Read Full »

Why is my 4 month old baby not passing stools?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 4 months old and is vomiting in between while having breast milk. His belly is not much hard, but there is more swelling when compared to the breastfeeding days. He has been switched to formula feed from Sunday night and till now he has not passed stools. I am worried about th...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Paediatrician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is common to have a decrease in stool frequency or constipation after switching from breast milk to formula feed. As long as your child is feeding well, passing gas from below, has no vomiting and has a soft belly, there is nothing to worry about. It is normal to pa...  Read Full »

How to breastfeed a baby?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 1 month old. My wife is facing problem in breastfeeding as the baby is not taking the feed properly. This is our first baby and my wife is using a breast pump to take off her milk and giving it in a bottle. I want to know whether the use of a breast pump for a long time cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, tell your wife to at least try to breastfeed for 15 minutes. Yes, it is difficult to feed first baby, but with experience it will become easy. Tell her to put the nipple completely in his mouth by making a V-shape in her hand. No, breast pump will not cau...  Read Full »

Why do I have severe pain while breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having severe pain in breast while breastfeeding. The pain is present only in the right breast while feeding. My son is 24 days old and I had started feeding since day 3. From then, I have been suffering from this pain. Though it is painful, I am still feeding him. Please advic...  Read Full »

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the specific site where you get the pain. Is it in and around the nipple or is it deep inside? If the pain is in and around the nipple, then it is most likely due to faulty technique while feeding. These are the instructions for proper breastf...  Read Full »

Why is one of my twin baby girl not gaining weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a month old twin baby girls. They were born in the 34th week of pregnancy. One baby was 2.2 Kg, and the other was a little weaker weighing 2 Kg. Since there is not enough mother's milk after several attempts, I had to go for artificial milk powder. Initially, as suggested by the ho...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keep trying to give breastfeeds as much as possible till 6 months completion. Different brands of milk powder have different tastes. So, you can change what they like (as advised). Do not dilute more or give more concentrated milk. Usually, dilution mentioned on the...  Read Full »