Breast Milk

What should I do to make my little one take breast milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My 10 months old baby is refusing to breastfeed suddenly. What can I do to feed him again?  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since when is your baby refusing breastfeeding (specify the duration)? Are there any other symptoms associated with refusal to feed? If yes, please specify. How is the activity of your baby? What are the complementary feeds you are giving to your baby apart from your ...  Read Full »

Please advice on how to improve my breast milk supply.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a mother of 4 months baby boy. I had a normal delivery and after the delivery, I got a very little milk and was not able to feed my baby. After 10 days, I had an issue with my delivery stitches as I had an episiotomy. So resuturing happened and was not at all able to feed my bab...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best way for you right now is to let the child latch on the breast for atleast 5 to 10 minutes every day. After this latching is done, give the child some top-up milk using a bottle and nipple. If the child wants to latch on for more time, let the child latch. I...  Read Full »

Which medicine can improve breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old married female. My baby is 40 days old. I am unable to breastfeed her. Please suggest me some medicine to improve my breast milk.  Read Full »

Dr. Shagufta Parveen

Childbirth Educator, Lactation Counselor, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you Lactare tablet (herbal capsule) thrice a day for 15 days, which will help to increase breast milk. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. You can also take garlic regularly as it is considered as the best home remed...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best milk for a newborn baby other than breast milk.

Query: Hello doctor, My child is one and a half month old. Which milk is better for him, cow's milk or artificial milk (as breast milk is not enough)?  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please know that until the baby is 6 months of age, there is nothing better than mother’s milk. If you feel mother’s milk is not enough, there are medications to increase mother’s milk. Has it been tried? How frequent are you breastfeeding? What exactly is the mo...  Read Full »

Can I continue giving my 20-day-old baby vitamin drops?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 20 days old. She is having loose motion from yesterday night. She passed loose stools for about 8 to 9 times between 8 PM to 3 AM. Only a few days back, we started giving multivitamin drops and vitamin D drops. After having that she seemed to struggle while passing motion ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun Kiran Malhotra

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Exclusively breastfed babies do not need medications. Continue vitamin D drops. Breastfed babies can pass 10 to 12 golden yellow stools in a day (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please do exclusive breastfeeding for six months and give its many advantag...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to stop breastmilk and start formula milk for a 3-month-old baby?

Query: My baby is 3 months old, last month he had rashes and a loose motion, we did a stool test of ph and reducing substance done, the report says that the reducing substance is positive, the doc advices to stop mothers milk and start isomil formula, the baby did not take isomil, so I continued with breas...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Am glad to hear you did not stop breast-feeding and that the baby’s weight gain is good. Babies of 3 months may pass stools after every feed-which means if you feed 10 times, they may pass stools 10 times. So that is not a thing to get worried. Regarding the colour of the stools, green-y...  Read Full »

What could cause white discharge in both nipples with blisters?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 17 years old. and have a littl bit of white nipple disharge in both breasts but one has it a little worse and the skin on my nipple appears to be white and has little blisters on it. It does not really itch or anything but it is sore to the touch.  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I see that you are worried about discharge from both your breasts and you are telling it has blister-like appearance. White discharge with blister-like appearance and sore to touch generally points towards an infection, but an infection occurring simultaneously in both...  Read Full »

What should be the normal value of TSH, T3 and T4 in a breastfeeding mother?

Query: Hi doctor, I am breastfeeding mother with TSH level 4.83 in the last trimester which is I suppose hypothyroidism. My milk supply is low. I want to know if TSH value can affect milk supply. I am on 50 mcg Eltroixin dosage now. If it does affect, I want to know what should be the normal values for TS...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you mentioned it appears that you are being treated for hypothyroidism since the last trimester of your pregnancy although the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) you mentioned was not that high as to begin therapy but still I am no...  Read Full »

How does stress influence breast milk production?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is around 15 days old. I have had a normal delivery. At first, when she was three days old till the eighth day, I had engorged breasts with full milk but later there was a sudden drop in the supply. What might be the reason? Will the hot summer influence breast milk product...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Rama Thute

Child Health Specialist, Lactation Counselor, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the problem which you are going through. During breastfeeding period if there are any stressors (like excessive worry regarding the baby, sudden demise in the family) it decreases the prolactin reflex in the body and hence reduces the milk output. There are...  Read Full »

Can sudden asphyxia cause brain injury in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about the health of my nephew who has got brain injury during his birth. In the past he had DHA supplements and used to do exercise. I need your consult regarding the extent of injury, effects, solutions and medication. Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly give me some more information about the clinical status of your nephew such as age, growth pattern, milestones and any other symptoms associated with it. Revert back with the asked details to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-o...  Read Full »