Breast Milk

Can sudden asphyxia cause brain injury in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about the health of my nephew who has got brain injury during his birth. In the past he had DHA supplements and used to do exercise. I need your consult regarding the extent of injury, effects, solutions and medication. Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly give me some more information about the clinical status of your nephew such as age, growth pattern, milestones and any other symptoms associated with it. Revert back with the asked details to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-o...  Read Full »

Can Cerelac be given to a 4.5-month-old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is 4.5 months old and she is exclusively breastfed. Her birth weight was 3.5 kg and she is currently weighing 5.5 kg. Is her weight gain normal? Do you suggest adding cerelac to her diet? I could not see any sign of milk insufficiency, but had a concern on her weight gain. A...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, her weight is fine. And probably your feed is also fine, because she is gaining weight adequately. You can notice sign of adequate feed in the form of satisfaction after feeding, frequent urination, sleeping after feed and gaining weight. Supplements...  Read Full »

Can teething cause diarrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 6 months old. For the past couple of days, he is suffering from diarrhea (watery stools and green type stools) five to seven times a day. His gums are also hard and red, may be teething. Currently he is on antibiotics, multivitamins and some medicines for diarrhea. I would b...  Read Full »

Dr. Neeru Bharadwaj

Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. By reading your query, it is clear that the baby is suffering from diarrhea due to dentition only. I would advise you to stop antibiotics as it is not necessary to the baby now. Please give him homeopathic medicine Chamomilla 30c potency only two drops in little water ...  Read Full »

Is it fine to spoon feed formula milk for a three weeks old?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete mo...  Read Full »

My 40 days old daughter is crying day and night inspite of having Colicaid. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 40 days old and she is crying a lot day and night. When consulted a doctor he prescribed Colicaid, and I am giving the same till now but there is no difference. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope your baby is fine. The dictum you have to follow in baby care is to remember, a crying infant is a hungry infant. Secondly, neve ever bottlefeed and give only breast milk. If you still decide to give formula feeds, feed it with a spoon or baby sipper and give ...  Read Full »

How can I make my baby have Formula milk without sugar?

Query: Hello doctor, I have 3.5 months old baby. I do not have sufficient breastmilk, hence, was giving fomula milk. Baby was not satisfied with the taste of formula milk and was never having it properly, so one day my mother added sugar to formula milk and since that day my baby is having formula milk as...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can keep reducing the sugar content of the milk slowly slowly until you reach a stage where there is no sugar in the milk. Also, you can check for your current milk output to see if even little is there. If even a little is there, please give the child breast for...  Read Full »

I have cracked nipples that have failed to heal and I am not able to nurse my baby. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have cracked nipples that have failed to heal for the past five weeks. I am a nursing mother, and I am not able to feed.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please apply Purelan 100 (Lanolin) to the cracked nipples and express the milk to prevent engorgement and feed the baby that milk (store in hygienic conditions) along with some top feeds if required. Reduce the latching of the baby to enhance healing. Till you have h...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to exclusively pump breast milk?

Query: Hello doctor, Why more mothers are choosing to exclusively pump their breast milk? How does it work for them? Kindly explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mostly breast pumps are used by mothers who need to prepare for the child in advance due to their business. Most of the working ladies are using breast pumps to empty the breast in advance and to have milk as per need. Breast pump helps to maintain breast production by ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to give water along with mixed feeding to a new born?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin, a newborn baby, was born four days before, male, 51 cm and 3.1 kg. He is crying, and we think that he cannot poop. He drinks breast milk. And every time he farts he cries and, we thought he has a hard time getting it out. I would also like to ask if he is allowed to drink ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that a child may cry either because he is hungry, has passed urine or stool, or wants to seek attention. Take note of the same. Other than that whatever you have described is normal and it persists till the age of six months. Hence do not worry. Giving w...  Read Full »

Why is my 4 month old baby not passing stools?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 4 months old and is vomiting in between while having breast milk. His belly is not much hard, but there is more swelling when compared to the breastfeeding days. He has been switched to formula feed from Sunday night and till now he has not passed stools. I am worried about th...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Paediatrician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is common to have a decrease in stool frequency or constipation after switching from breast milk to formula feed. As long as your child is feeding well, passing gas from below, has no vomiting and has a soft belly, there is nothing to worry about. It is normal to pa...  Read Full »