Q. How can I increase my breast milk production?

Dr. Sonal Prasad

I am having a 1-month-old baby. I am giving breast milk and formula milk to my baby due to insufficient breast milk. However, my breast milk was not too low. I used to provide formula feed for one or two feeds. Before three days back, I was sick, and so I could not breastfeed my baby for one day. After recovery, my breast milk has been dropped drastically and hardly. I was able to pump only 10 ml per feeding which was 100 ml before. Is this because I have not breastfed or pumped milk for one day? I want to recover my milk supply. Kindly advise. Can I take fenugreek supplement? Currently, I am giving formula milk to my baby, and I want to do breastfeeding. I am taking Razo D and Histac 180 for acidity and Livogen before breakfast and Shelcal in the afternoon.

#

Breast milk secretion works on a demand-supply basis. The more you breastfeed, the more milk is produced. Here is what you can do to increase your breastmilk supply:

1. Breastfeed or pump a lot. It creates more demand and thus increases the amount.
  2. Hot fomentation of the breast: wrap a warm towel around the breast before pumping. It increases the supply. Hot showers can also help.
  3. Take Capsule Perinorm CD (Metoclopramide) one capsule twice daily for three days and stop it (make sure you stop after three days).
  4. Take Galact granules (Shatavar) two tablespoons with milk twice daily and continue it.
  5. Fenugreek seeds and intake of hot water along with increased ginger intake has some unproven role in increasing breastmilk.

For more information consult a lactation counselor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/lactation-counselor

|