Q. How can I increase my breast milk production?

Dr. Sonal Prasad

I am having a 1-month-old baby. I am giving breast milk and formula milk to my baby due to insufficient breast milk. However, my breast milk was not too low. I used to provide formula feed for one or two feeds. Before three days back, I was sick, and so I could not breastfeed my baby for one day. After recovery, my breast milk has been dropped drastically and hardly. I was able to pump only 10 ml per feeding which was 100 ml before. Is this because I have not breastfed or pumped milk for one day? I want to recover my milk supply. Kindly advise. Can I take fenugreek supplement? Currently, I am giving formula milk to my baby, and I want to do breastfeeding. I am taking Razo D and Histac 180 for acidity and Livogen before breakfast and Shelcal in the afternoon.

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Breast milk secretion works on a demand-supply basis. The more you breastfeed, the more milk is produced. Here is what you can do to increase your breastmilk supply:

1. Breastfeed or pump a lot. It creates more demand and thus increases the amount.
  2. Hot fomentation of the breast: wrap a warm towel around the breast before pumping. It increases the supply. Hot showers can also help.
  3. Take Capsule Perinorm CD (Metoclopramide) one capsule twice daily for three days and stop it (make sure you stop after three days).
  4. Take Galact granules (Shatavar) two tablespoons with milk twice daily and continue it.
  5. Fenugreek seeds and intake of hot water along with increased ginger intake has some unproven role in increasing breastmilk.

For more information consult a lactation counselor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/lactation-counselor

| 

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

Ask a Lactation Counselor Now