Q. How fast do antibiotics relieve asthmatic cough?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney.

Do you have a question on Bronchial Asthma or Inhaled Steroids? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: How fast do antibiotics relieve asthmatic cough?

My son is 11 years old. He weighs 22 kg. He has asthmatic type of cough problem.

The paediatrician usually gives him an antibiotic for 10-12 days and still if the cough persists he will extend the antibiotic for another 2-3 days. When the cough remains an issue, he gives Azithromycin 300 mg a day for six days. He says that antibiotics can be given for a month and in special conditions like TB it can be given for six months.

My question is, is there any side effect on continuous antibiotic usage for 15-20 days? He also prescribed Betnelan (Betamethasone) one tablet daily for 6-8 days. Is it fine to give?