Bronchiectasis

Can smoking cause clubbed nails?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. All of my fingers are clubbed. My nails have become wide and thick giving them an abnormal round appearance. The skin above my cuticles is slightly raised and red. My nails do not extend straight out, but they curve d...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your nails and fingers, and it is in fact clubbing. The cause is smoking-induced lung damage and bronchiectasis. Regarding the reversibility, we cannot be sure at this moment, as it will depend ...  Read Full »

I get blood along with a cough. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I get cold, I have blood coming along with a cough. I have this problem for the past one year. After drinking water and taking cough syrup, it becomes normal. I went to the doctor, and a chest X-ray was done. The result was normal. After a month, I had the same problem and went ...  Read Full »

Dr. Harsha D S

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood in sputum can occur due to different causes. We need to find the reason whether the blood comes from the nose or throat. It can also occur due to localized damage to the lungs called bronchiectasis. But it is usually seen in CT scan. Please send me the images of t...  Read Full »

I have blood in cough and red pimples in neck. Is it cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I got blood in my cough two weeks back only once and there are red pimples on my neck. I am feeling weak. I used to take tobacco one year back which I left after rehabilitation. I have read that these are symptoms of cancer.   Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not panic. At this young stage lung cancer is unlikely, blood in sputum has multiple reasons like bronchitis, bronchiectasis, which can be treated. The red rash can be a local vasculitis or allergic cause too. Kindly do a routine blood test and chest X-ray and contac...  Read Full »

Is there any chance of lung cancer if there is spitting of blood with phlegm?

Query: Hello doctor,If X-ray is clear and the person is having a good appetite and no fatigue but the person is spitting up blood with phlegm not always. Sometimes the phelgm is white and sometimes black and sometimes traces of blood in phlegm. No chest pain, no shortness of breath. Is anything to worry? I...  Read Full »

Dr. Harsha D S

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your issues. Coughing up blood can be a symptom of many diseases like throat or chest infection, tuberculosis, bronchiectasis (a disease where your windpipes are damaged) or lung cancer. A detailed history of complaints and your reports are needed to dete...  Read Full »

How can bronchiectasis be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 31 years old. I am suffering from high BP and I am currently on medication. I have no thyroid issues, no diabetes, and normal lipids. ECG and echo both are normal. But, the main problem is a little breathing difficulty. The X-ray of the chest is clear normal but the HRCT of the c...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Shekhar

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your all reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and want to say something. Your probable diagnosis is bronchiectasis. Early bronchiectasis does not mean you are a patient of bronchiectasis. Also, you have atelectasis. So, send me a picture ...  Read Full »

Do I need to get a lung biopsy to confirm bronchiectasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extre...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CT scan report is suggestive of cylindrical bronchiectasis with some infective foci. Usually, the diagnosis of bronchiectasis is made on the HRCT thorax (high-resolution computed tomography) and there is no need of any lung biopsy. Bronchiectasis is due to some ol...  Read Full »

I am worried about my chest CT scan. Kindly explain.

Query: Hi doctor, I had viral fever about three weeks back accompanied by cough, breathlessness and exertion. I have consulted a pulmonologist and he advised blood tests. Now, I have breathlessness after a long walk and slopes, tingling sensation in the heart and there is a feeling of phlegm in the throat....  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your CT findings (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears to be a post-tuberculosis sequelae. As you have exertions, breathlessness and feeling of expectoration, I suggest you to undergo a spirometry to rule out post-tuberculosis COPD (chronic ...  Read Full »

Why do I feel sudden chest discomfort and breathlessness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a girl of 20. My height is 167 cm and weight is 75 kg. Over the past one week, I am having high discomfort and pain in my right chest when I breathe. The pain radiates to the right shoulder and right arm too. When I sneeze or blow my nose up, the pain is severe. I cannot explain this...  Read Full »

Dr. Kartik Sood

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have a history of frequent chest infections in the past, which were associated with wheezing, secretions and fever as well, I would suggest you to consult a pulmonologist or a chest physician in person. Your symptom of chest pain, which increases on deep respiratio...  Read Full »