Q. Is there any chance of lung cancer if there is spitting of blood with phlegm?

Dr. Harsha D S

If X-ray is clear and the person is having a good appetite and no fatigue but the person is spitting up blood with phlegm not always. Sometimes the phelgm is white and sometimes black and sometimes traces of blood in phlegm. No chest pain, no shortness of breath. Is anything to worry? Is there any chance of lungs cancer after clear X-ray.

#

I have read your issues. Coughing up blood can be a symptom of many diseases like throat or chest infection, tuberculosis, bronchiectasis (a disease where your windpipes are damaged) or lung cancer. A detailed history of complaints and your reports are needed to determine the reason. If you are below 40 years and coughing up blood only for a few days, it is likely a chest infection or tuberculosis (TB). If age is above 40 and a smoker, we need to consider the possibility of cancer. If coughing blood is for months to years, bronchiectasis is the likely cause. If X-ray is normal, TB and cancer become less likely. I would suggest you get a sputum exam for TB, blood tests CBC (complete blood count) and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). If TB is not detected in sputum and coughing up blood is persistent, CT scan of the chest may be needed.

Bronchitis, bronchiectasis, tuberculosis.

CBC, ESR, sputum AFB (acid-fast bacillus) smear, chest HRCT scan.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|