Q. Is there any chance of lung cancer if there is spitting of blood with phlegm?

Dr. Harsha D S
Published on Jul 31, 2018

If X-ray is clear and the person is having a good appetite and no fatigue but the person is spitting up blood with phlegm not always. Sometimes the phelgm is white and sometimes black and sometimes traces of blood in phlegm. No chest pain, no shortness of breath. Is anything to worry? Is there any chance of lungs cancer after clear X-ray.

Dr. Harsha D S

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I have read your issues. Coughing up blood can be a symptom of many diseases like throat or chest infection, tuberculosis, bronchiectasis (a disease where your windpipes are damaged) or lung cancer. A detailed history of complaints and your reports are needed to determine the reason. If you are below 40 years and coughing up blood only for a few days, it is likely a chest infection or tuberculosis (TB). If age is above 40 and a smoker, we need to consider the possibility of cancer. If coughing blood is for months to years, bronchiectasis is the likely cause. If X-ray is normal, TB and cancer become less likely. I would suggest you get a sputum exam for TB, blood tests CBC (complete blood count) and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). If TB is not detected in sputum and coughing up blood is persistent, CT scan of the chest may be needed.

Bronchitis, bronchiectasis, tuberculosis.

CBC, ESR, sputum AFB (acid-fast bacillus) smear, chest HRCT scan.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

I have suffered with tuberculosis(Koch's disease)last year. Now I am getting the same disease back.

Query: Hi, I was suffering from tuberculosis (Koch's disease) a year back which got cured. And now I think, I am getting the same disease back. What should I do?  Read Full »

Is my sinus problem making me cough up bloody sputum?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female, who weighs 80 kg and I am 6.1 feet tall. I have a sinus problem and coughing up blood. The blood is bright red in color, and the sputum is white. I got treatment for sinus yesterday, and they gave me Betnesol and Levbrox. I also have pain in my colon. I am taki...  Read Full »

Is it normal to feel tired and sleepy when recovering from bronchitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am recovering from bronchitis and a viral infection. I had high fever and cough, but not much sputum. I took Cefoprim antibiotics. It has been two weeks now. I still have a cough and feeling very tired. I also feel very sleepy. Please tell me if this is expected.  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now