Q. Is nebulizer a must for bronchiolitis?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2019

My 9 months old baby had a high fever, cough, and cold. Initially, it was the fever that was concerning. Later the cough was severe and hospitalized for bronchiolitis. He was put on a nebulizer and after three days his condition has improved. So, the doctor suggested moving from the nebulizer to Asthalin huf puf. Later that night, he had a continuous cough for one hour and was then back on nebulizer. He is put on oxygen support as his SpO2 dropped to around 86. We are much worried as he is premature and was formula fed mostly. Please let us know if this behavior is normal with bronchiolitis.

#

The symptoms that your child has been suggestive of bronchiolitis. In bronchiolitis, nebulization needs to be given for five to seven days; usually, the child recovers in seven days.

Your child was discharged from the hospital and developed respiratory distress after continuous cough and spO2 has decreased. I think that during continuous cough your child has aspirated the food and this has now led to bronchopneumonia.

In my opinion, your child needs antibiotics and nebulization with a repeat chest x-ray to see the extent of pneumonia. I think your child needs admission for a week after which he will be alright.

Take care of your child.

|