Q. My wife has delivered a premature baby. Is it advisable to stay in the hospital for a long time?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Aug 02, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2018

My wife was 5 months pregnant and yesterday she gave birth to a premature baby. The doctor has advised us to stay in the hospital for a long time. Is it advisable to do so? Shall I get her discharged from the hospital?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Do not get your wife discharged from the hospital until the doctor advises to do so.

A baby of just 5 months pregnancy is extremely premature. The baby is premature not only with respect to the age but also by the development of the respiratory system and brain.

Premature babies need tender care in the hospital. They can suffer from many health issues.

These babies require nutritional support and prevention from infection. Apart from this, most of these babies develop apnea (cessation of breathing) due to the immaturity of their brain. Therefore, they need appropriate care in the hospital.

So, you cannot take your baby home, till the baby accepts feed and does not need any medical support. At present, your baby definitely needs hospital care.

For further details consult a child health specialist online --->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

Can feeding food to the blood directly prevent obesity, hypertension, and diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, My greatest desire was to become a doctor. I have a few thoughts to prevent lifestyle diseases. If we smile with inner sad feeling, the brain will think that we are happy. It can be refered to as tricking the brain. Our taste buds are on the tongue and when we eat the brain knows the quan...  Read Full »

My premature baby has high sugar levels. I am worried. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife delivered a baby boy two months prematurely and he was underweight (1.210 kg). The reason was almost nil movement of the fetus and very less fluid in the fetus (3.5 to 4).After the delivery, the doctor said that all the other parameters of the baby like the height of the ...  Read Full »

Hair Loss in Children - How to Treat It with Homeopathy?

Article Overview: Hair loss is fairly common in kids and it is easy to treat with homeopathy if the underlying cause is known. Read on to know the best approach to take. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Hair loss is an issue we usually associate with adults, but hair loss is fairly common in children as well. A majority of children (26 months or older) have hair loss problem and it can be frightening for parents. As compared to adults, it is easier to treat or grow back hair in children once the un...  Read Article

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now