Bronchiolitis

Please suggest treatment for a 2-month-old baby suffering from dry cough.

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 2 months old and he is suffering with dry cough over the last 3 days. We consulted local doctor and he advised TA-65 capsule which can be taken by mixing one capsule in 10 cc of distilled water. He advised to use 2 mL of this mixture for 3 days. My question is how exactly does T...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your kid is probably suffering from some throat infection or lung infection (respiratory infection). TA - 65 is a telomerase activator, it comes in capsule form. It is used to boost immune system, skin and given for sexual improvement. It has no role in cough and it...  Read Full »

Are my baby's symptoms normally seen with bronchiolitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 9 months old baby had a high fever, cough, and cold. Initially, it was the fever that was concerning. Later the cough was severe and hospitalized for bronchiolitis. He was put on a nebulizer and after three days his condition has improved. So, the doctor suggested moving from the nebu...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that your child has been suggestive of bronchiolitis. In bronchiolitis, nebulization needs to be given for five to seven days; usually, the child recovers in seven days. Your child was discharged from the hospital and developed respiratory distress after c...  Read Full »

My 1.1 years old baby often gets cold and cough. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 1.1 years old and she weights around 8.5 kg. For the last couple of months she gets cold and cough for every 10 days. We are not using any medication. Let us know if we have to get her tested. Is this is really a concern. Apart from this, she is very active and has no oth...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is common in children in this age group. Due to the seasonal variation, children of this age group are prone to get upper respiratory infections especially children who are bottle fed. You should only be worried if your child develops fever persistently or repeatedly...  Read Full »

Would Zantac make allergy skin test false positive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of coughing for a few weeks here and there in spring and fall. It will be fine after about three weeks. Then, my throat will start to itch, and I will begin to have trouble talking. Later, I start coughing explosively. Once I get to the coughing phase, my eyes start...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. At present, you are suffering from allergic rhinitis converting to allergic asthma. Get your absolute eosinophilic count done and you need to go for spirometry only at the time of the attack to pinpoint the diagnosis. The differential diagnosis includes allergic bronchi...  Read Full »

Why has my breathing become severely constricted?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 63-year old male. About five days ago, I went to a large supermarket and bought a blender. When I turned on the blender for the first time, I could smell an acrid odor being emitted from the blender. My chest immediately tightened and my breathing became severely constricted. F...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend that you visit the hospital for a chest X-ray as probably you are suffering from bronchiolitis and hypersensitivity pneumonitis which are inflammatory conditions of the airways and lung tissues. This could also lead to pulmonary edema which is seri...  Read Full »

Is it logical to treat staphylococcal infection they do not know the baby has for sure?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is almost 11 weeks old and was admitted to the hospital on the 11th. Blood culture came back negative but she tested positive for RSV and also had bronchiolitis. She was discharged on the 15th and readmitted the next day 16th. The primary physician did not like the way sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Culture positive for Staph Aureus infection needs treatment. A central line is advised and when it is difficult to get, a peripheral line or prolonged course of treatment is needed. Even if the baby is not having a fever (which is a good ...  Read Full »

My infant has chest retractions due to severe cold. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, My 24 days old baby is suffering from cold which retracts her chest making noisy breathing sound liƙe there is thick mucus in the chest. We are using Amoxicillin suspension but there is still no improvement. The doctor has now placed her on Cefixime suspension 2.5 mL twice a day. Do ...  Read Full »

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you get a chest X-ray and a blood test to know the level of infection rather than changing the antibiotics. Along with antibiotics, I suggest you give her nebulizations. Also, if she has got chest retractions, check her saturation level. If it is below 95...  Read Full »