Q. I am extremely worried about my breathing problem and cough. Please help.

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 11, 2020

I am a 24 year old female. I have been facing breathing problem for the past five days. The first time it happened for a few minutes after I had finished my dinner and after that I smoked. I am not a heavy smoker and this has also not happened before. The problem is that I am breathing, but I am unable to take a deep breath in comfortably. I have recently suffered from dengue and recovered almost a month back. I had a very bad cough with mucus that time, but shortly after I recovered I discontinued the cough syrup. I am still coughing occasionally. Regarding my current situation, I went to the doctors and they gave me nebulizer. But, it did not help. They checked my chest and back with a stethoscope and said everything was clear and so was my chest x-ray. I am on AB phylline 200. Please help me as I am extremely worried.

#

• As you said, you are suffering from cough with expectoration and breathing difficulty, it is quite possible that you can have acute bronchitis.
  • You have a history of smoking even though not regularly. Smoking is an aggravating factor for cough.
  • Also, there is difficulty in breathing, which suggests some airway problem. Your chest is clear to auscultation and chest x-ray is also normal.
  • I suggest you to do a spirometry test to rule out asthma and as baseline investigation. Further treatment can be advised depending on the reports.
  • I strongly advise you to stop smoking and continue same medicines for now.
  • If your cough or breathing difficulty continues, you may need inhaler treatment.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|