Q. I was diagnosed with bronchitis in ER. Is it the correct diagnosis?

Dr. Suneel Mukati
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2019

I was diagnosed with bronchitis today in the emergency room. I felt very weak and had difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor's appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. I have attached my reports.

1. Do you see anything else in these X-rays (tumor)?
  2. Is bronchitis the correct diagnosis?
  3. Are the medications they prescribed correct?

Dr. Suneel Mukati

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

According to your present and past history, it could be allergic rhinitis with bronchial asthma if rhonchi present on auscultation. it could be bronchitis in which rhonchi may or may not be present.

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no evidence of malignancy.

1. Is wheezing present?
  2. Is sputum purulent?

Although medicines are correct, if symptoms are not controlled, then I suggest you should go for nasal spray BD, Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) HS, Seretide Accuhaler (Fluticasone Propionate and Salmeterol Xinafoate) BD.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

Yes, I was diagnosed with sinusitis about five years ago. I get sinus infections maybe once or twice a year. There is no wheezing (and when checked with stethoscope by the emergency room doctor, he said it sounded like air was flowing good). I have no sputum right now (very little and looks clear). The medications are Budesonide (inhaler), Acetylcysteine, and Levaquin.

1. Does X-ray look like they missed anything?
  2. Do you think I could have asthma (never had asthma before in my life)?
  3. Could it be an allergy?

Dr. Suneel Mukati

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

X-ray looks like normal although it is an overexposed film. It could be asthma because it is normal between attacks.

It could be an allergy too. For allergy, do IgE level.

For further queries consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|