Q. How to cure my father's severe cold and cough?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Jul 21, 2018

My father is 66 years old. He is having severe cough and cold for more than a month. He took Clavam 625 mg for five days. Along with that, he also took Foracort 200 mcg inhaler twice a day and Nasonex inhaler twice a day, but there was no relief.

Then, our chest specialist suggested Nebulizer with Budecort 0.5 mg twice a day for 15 days. After taking this too there was no relief. Then, he took Omnacortil 30 mg (Prednisolone) and Montair LC once a day for five days. He is prediabetic, but the medicines have not been started so far.

Please suggest me some advice.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Your father is suffering from bronchial asthma.

The current medications Foracort 200 mcg inhaler (Budesonide and Formoterol) and Nasonex (Mometasone) nasal spray were given for asthma.

As there is no relief even after taking tablet Clavam (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) and tablet Prednisolone, it indicates that the dose of current inhaler is not sufficient. So, I suggest that it is important to increase the dose of Foracort inhaler to 400 mcg two puffs twice daily followed by gargling. I also suggest Levolin inhaler (Levosalbutamol) two puffs thrice daily and Benz pearls (Benzonatate) two puffs twice daily. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicines with consent.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

My father has also developed fever 101 degrees Fahrenheit now.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

#

If he has a fever, then I suggest to take a chest x-ray to check pneumonia. I also suggest to do laboratory tests such as CBC (complete blood count), CRP (C-reactive protein), serum creatinine and RBS (random blood sugar).

A week ago, he had a chest x-ray and it was normal.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

#

It is very important to do a blood test as fever itself indicates infection somewhere in the body. Asthma is a chronic disease affecting the airways. I suggest you to have regular follow up with your doctor as regular inhaler treatment is must for proper asthma control.

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a viral or allergic upper respiratory tract infection. Calpol and Combiflam (Ibuprofen with Paracetamol) both should not be used at a time. Use only one drug among these two as they are anti-inflammatory and analgesic. You can also take Vitamin C 500 mg twice a...  Read Full

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your x-ray reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There appears to be a mild prominence of the bronchovascular markings in both the lungs, more so in the lower lobes. This is not a serious problem and sometimes can occur without any acc...  Read Full

Ask a Pulmonologist Now