Q. Could breast discomfort occur due to ovulation?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

I am 32 years old. My period and period symptoms have always been the same every time. I always have severe PMS symptoms with horrible cramping, breast soreness and on the first day of my period I always pass big blood clots with heavy bleeding. My period will last anywhere from 3 to 5 days. I have always been irregular with my cycle ranging from 31 to 40 days. On 5th of last month, I had a normal period. On 25th and 26th, I had unprotected sex using the pull out method. From 11th to 15th of this month, I experienced dull cramps occasionally. My period was very light, but dark brown the entire time with some light red mixed into it. My period was so light and I did not even need to wear a tampon. When I put a tampon in it would come out dark brown with light red scattered through it and looked like clear cervical mucus in it as well. If I stuck my finger in my vagina it had brown and red, but nothing was really coming out. I am confused whether I even had a period. I took two pregnancy tests on 11th and 14th, which came back negative. What are the possible causes for a dramatic change in my period color, amount and symptoms? Yesterday, my breasts were perkier than usual and the ache is on and off. Other than that, I have had no pregnancy symptoms or menstrual symptoms. Is pregnancy possible? If so, then how likely is it possible?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Regarding irregular and heavy flow, I would like you to get a urine pregnancy test done with early morning urine sample. Also, get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause.
  • Do get a complete blood count and thyroid profile done. Generally, irregular heavy flow could be because of low blood count or thyroid disorders. So, it is better to rule these out.
  • Since your periods vary from 31 to 40 days, I would advise you to repeat the urine pregnancy test after a week or 10 days.
  • The scanty brownish discharge could be because of stress, strain, anxiety, work pressure, change of place, a change in climate, low blood count or thyroid disorders.
  • Things will get clear once you get these tests done. Chances of pregnancy, though rare, the repeating test would be accurate.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I took another pregnancy test today and it came back negative. But, both my breasts today are swollen, warm and uncomfortable. The discomfort feeling is on and off. Could this be from ovulation? I never have painful breasts except right before my period. I will contact a doctor this week to get all the other tests as you said. If I am pregnant, is it so early to test now? Or should I have gotten a positive result by now?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• As you have irregular periods, it is difficult to specify the time of ovulation and exact time to do a pregnancy test.
  • Since you had intercourse on 25th and 26th, if even the precum was ejaculated, then there are rare chances of pregnancy. However, wait for another one week and repeat the test.
  • As I have already advised you to consult with your gynecologist, please do that.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|