HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologypcosMy periods are irregular and not conceiving. Please help.

What could be done to manage chronic irregular periods?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 5, 2016
Reviewed AtApril 23, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put on Femilon after consulting a doctor and it still did not correct my problem after leaving Femilon.

Now, I have been married for over a year and irregular periods are troubling me. I got periods due to Femilon and did not get natural periods for almost four months. I consulted a doctor again and she put me on Medroxyprogesterone for 7 days, after which I got the periods. Again, I did not get periods naturally and only after Medroxyprogesterone I was able to get them. In the past, I used to get periods naturally once in 1.5 months to 2 months, but it has become worse for the past seven months. I have no clue. I have been trying to conceive, but failed till date. I got all my tests done (attached) and the doctor said to me that I need to be on some combination treatment, which could only be done after my periods are over. The attached reports are the ones I got done three months back and I am not sure about the treatment. Yesterday was the last day of my periods and I believe this is the right time for me to start the treatment.

For one month, I was also put on Metformin 1000 mg + 500 mg dose to help me ovulate, but it did not help me get my periods on time either. At the bottom line, I believe that my irregular periods are causing me issue to find out my most fertile days and finally failing to conceive. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You are a clear cut case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

If you are not intending to get pregnant soon, then you should be started on monthly pills of Krimson 35 or Ginette 35 with Cyproterone acetate from day 3 of your cycle for at least three to six months along with Myo-inositol tablets and Insulin sensitizers like Metformin all together to regulate your periods. Your diet shall be important where you are to avoid oily and spicy food completely and increase your daily water intake to 12-15 glasses per day. If pregnancy is desired, then you may opt for controlled ovarian stimulation and timed intercourse protocol. You may discuss with your gynecologist and take an informed decision.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sameer Kumar
Dr. Sameer Kumar

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy