Q. Will taking birth pills cause brown vaginal discharge with itching and burning sensation?

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

I have brown discharge with vaginal itching and burning sensation. I am taking birth control pills to regulate my period. Kindly help.

#

Do you have only brown discharge, or do you have curdy white discharge also? It seems like you have candidal vaginitis. I suggest getting a smear test for confirmation.

Vaginal itching goes more in favor of infection. If it is only a brown discharge, it could be spotting that sometimes happens with birth control pills. If it is confirmed candidal vaginitis, I suggest taking tablet Fluconazole 150 mg single dose.

Thanks for the reply.

I have browny discharge for the past week. This is my menstruation period. I am not getting my period; instead, I am getting brown discharge from my twenty-fifth day.

#

Birth control pills cause anovulation; ovulation does not occur, so in some cycles, you will have bleeding much lesser than normal cycles; that is normal when you are on birth control pills. Vaginal itching is not normal and is most likely due to an infection. A combined white discharge with some menstrual bleeding could make it appear brown. Decreased menstrual bleeding is not something to worry about. If itching persists, then it needs to be evaluated.

|