Q. Please help me identify the reason for pain in my jaw and face.

Dr. Prerna Jain
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2022

I have pain in my teeth when I chew for the last two months. I have some pain in the face also. The doctor is unable to identify. Kindly help.

#

I have gone through the files uploaded (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Having looked at the picture and the X-rays, there are no cavities. There is some generalized bone loss and the widening of PDL (periodontal ligament) spaces. This is indicative of high forces being applied on your teeth due to one of the following reasons:

1. Bruxism.
  2. Clenching.
  3. Stress.
  4. Interferences in teeth.
  5. Malocclusion.

These are some common causes. To begin with, you will require a nightguard or splint; so that your pain reduces. Also, after two to six months of splint wear, it needs to be checked if you have any bite disturbances, which will need to be corrected by braces or multiple caps. Till you get a splint or night guard, I suggest you can take a painkiller available over the counter to manage pain. You can also apply mild heat to the jaw joint area when facial pain occurs. You can also visit a physiotherapist and undergo TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation).

|