Q. Please help me identify the reason for pain in my jaw and face.

Dr. Prerna Jain

I have pain in my teeth when I chew. I have some pain in the face also. It is from the last two months. The doctor is unable to identify.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

I have gone through the files uploaded (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Having looked at the picture and the X-rays, it seems that there are no cavities. There is some generalized bone loss along with the widening of PDL (periodontal ligament) spaces. This is indicative of high forces being applied on your teeth due to one of the following reasons;
  1. Bruxism.
  2. Clenching.
  3. Stress.
  4. Interferences in teeth.
  5. Malocclusion.

These are some common causes.

• To begin with, you will require a night guard or splint; so that your pain reduces. Also, after two to six months of splint wear, it needs to be checked if you have any bite disturbances which will need to be corrected by braces or multiple caps.
  • Till you get a splint or night guard, you can take a painkiller available over the counter to manage pain.
  • You can also apply mild heat to the jaw joint area when facial pain occurs.
  • You can also visit a physiotherapist for the same and TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation).

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|