Q. I have jaw pain because of an impacted wisdom tooth. What should I do?

Dr. Mohammad Emranul Islam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I have an ache in the lower jaw.

Last time I visited the dentist. I had a root canal treatment done.

After a month, I started experiencing pain in that jaw.

The doctor said root canal treatment is fine, and they noticed an impacted wisdom tooth after a quick X-ray.

I am having pain now again in that jaw after three months.

What should I do?

Due to COVID-19, I am not sure if I should visit a dentist.

#

This may be the pain for the same reason you had previously. If you have an impacted wisdom tooth, then that can cause you this kind of problem repeatedly. But if you have pain on biting, that may be from the root canal-treated tooth. Do you have the X-ray? Can you send me a picture of the affected area and the X-ray? In the meantime, you can rinse your mouth with warm saline water 5 to 7 times daily. If the pain does not subside, you can take painkiller tablet Ibuprofen (400 mg) two times daily for 2 to 3 days (after meal).

Please send me the pictures for proper diagnosis and a better treatment plan.

Thank you for contacting us.

|