Q. What is the best treatment for burn?

Published on Feb 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 12, 2019

Four days ago, boiling water burnt my buttocks. I had pain only on the first day. I am using sterile gauze Silver sulfadiazine and Bacitracin antibiotic cream or spray. Today it started paining while changing the dressing. What is the level of burn? I have attached photo for your reference. What is the best treatment?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

It is a first degree burn as you can see the eroded skin (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Systemic antibiotic is needed along with topical and daily dressing. Stop Bacitracin, as it can cause sensitization in many individuals. Continue Silver sulfadiazine thrice daily.

Daily dressing and cleaning with Betadine lotion is a must. Following injections should be taken:

1. Injection Piperacillin/Tazobactam 4.5 g IV bd for 7 days.
  2. Injection Metronidazole, 1 vial IV tid for 7 days.
  3. Injection Pantoprazole, 1 vial IV od for 7 days.

Drink at least 5 liters of water daily, otherwise you may need injectable fluid also. Take healthy proteinaceous diet and drink lot of coconut water as it contains minerals.

| 

Can I use Aquacel dressing?

#

Yes, you can use. But, make sure to apply Betadine lotion right before dressing. Be careful as I am talking about Betadine lotion and not ointment.

| 

How can I manage sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat from last 15 days. Medications taken are Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid taken for five days BD. The next course includes ZOCEF CV 500 BD for eight days. Levocetirizine 5 mg OD at night from the last 15 days and Betadine gargle thrice a day (both Levo and gargle, ...  Read Full »

How to prevent bleeding on brushing?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed light bleeding while brushing. I feel minor discomfort in the gums at the centre, top and back of the teeth. I do not have much pain. Can I apply anything externally on the gums to prevent bleeding? Please advice.  Read Full »

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now