Q. What is the best treatment for burn?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 12, 2019

Four days ago, boiling water burnt my buttocks. I had pain only on the first day. I am using sterile gauze Silver sulfadiazine and Bacitracin antibiotic cream or spray. Today it started paining while changing the dressing. What is the level of burn? I have attached photo for your reference. What is the best treatment?

#

It is a first degree burn as you can see the eroded skin (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Systemic antibiotic is needed along with topical and daily dressing. Stop Bacitracin, as it can cause sensitization in many individuals. Continue Silver sulfadiazine thrice daily.

Daily dressing and cleaning with Betadine lotion is a must. Following injections should be taken:

1. Injection Piperacillin/Tazobactam 4.5 g IV bd for 7 days.
  2. Injection Metronidazole, 1 vial IV tid for 7 days.
  3. Injection Pantoprazole, 1 vial IV od for 7 days.

Drink at least 5 liters of water daily, otherwise you may need injectable fluid also. Take healthy proteinaceous diet and drink lot of coconut water as it contains minerals.

Can I use Aquacel dressing?

#

Yes, you can use. But, make sure to apply Betadine lotion right before dressing. Be careful as I am talking about Betadine lotion and not ointment.

|