Q. How does sudden cardiac arrest affect overall cognitive brain function?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
Published on Apr 03, 2018

'Sudden cardiac arrest and its effects of blood flow and depleted oxygen to the brain, brain shock, lack of nutrients as well as production of toxic material that can no longer be cleared by circulation since it is no longer functioning.' How does all of this affect overall cognitive brain function?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

Sudden cardiac arrest and prolonged brain hypoxia can lead to brain ischemic encephalopathy. The severity of the disorder is proportional to the duration of hypoxia and cardiac resuscitation.

In case of a short period, only some troubles with concentration may occur. While in case of prolonged hypoxia, severe cognitive impairment and motor deficits in the limbs may occur.

In some cases, the patient may be in vegetative state (without conscience, but the patient opens his eyes, makes spontaneous movements, but he is not alert and does not respond to external stimulation).

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Can you explain the changes seen in my routine blood test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done my routine checkup and blood test. My reports show some variation in the normal range, especially in CBC, hs-CRP, vitamin D and TSH. The night before the blood test, I met with an accident and my upper skin has been ruptured. Somewhere, I read that hs-CRP may significantly...  Read Full »

Is it okay to bring peanut butter on an airplane?

Query: Hi doctor, Is that fine to bring peanut butter (PB) on an airplane? I would like to know the ways that bringing PB on a plane might or might not pose a threat to others? What should you do if you are bringing PB and if you have an allergy and want to keep safe in case someone else brings some on th...  Read Full »