Q. I have weakness, headache and stomach upset after a cat scratched me. Should I be worried?

Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

I am an 18 year old girl. This week, I bought two kittens and a dog. I took good care of them and cleaned them thrice a day. One of my kittens scratched me a bit, but I cleaned the scratch with soap and alcohol. It has been six days and the scratch is gone. But, I feel very weak lately and have a severe headache as well as an upset stomach. I am an extremely clean person. I cleaned everything and disinfected the cat room. Do I still need to get tested for a cat scratch disease? I am a bit better now. I thought I am a bit anemic from my period and I started some vitamins. Am I in danger? The vet said that I am not if i clean my hands regularly, but I am still concerned.

#

• It seems like you most probably do have a cat scratch disease. The symptoms usually appear a few days after the cat scratches or bites. The typical symptoms are fever, tiredness, and also a lymph node enlargement, although not all of them might appear in every patient.
  • It would be best to have a test done, but anyway it is highly recommended that you start an antibiotic treatment right away even if the test is negative. The first line of treatment would be Azithromycin.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|