Q. What is the cause of left-sided hand and leg numbness?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on May 09, 2018

Left side hand and leg numbness and tiredness. I am taking cardiac medications.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have seen your health investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are different possibilities that may cause weakness of one side of the body as in your case.

1. Bleeding or clotting of blood in brain areas.
  2. There may be a lesion that compresses on the brain tissue causing weakness.
  3. There maybe a loss of or blockage of blood supply to an area of the body causing weakness.
  4. There may be issues with nerves, blood vessels, bones or muscles especially related to the spinal cord (backbone).

Your healthcare center has touched every possible cause to investigate the reason behind this weakness on one side of your body and there came out to be nothing like this. I have extensively reviewed your MRI reports and other blood work. There are some red flags that bother me and indicate that these may be the cause of your issue.

These are metabolic disturbances. In simple words, if your car engine's mechanical parts are all fine but there is diesel instead of petrol, your car would not work. Our body is a complex machinery and it cannot run normally if there is no controlled and balanced environment inside the body. Harmony (homeostasis) and rhythm in different metabolic products inside the body is needed at all times in order for the body to work normally.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for answering. They were looking for a mini-stroke. When this was not found, no one gave me a clear answer about the cause or treatment.Just wait and watch. And now, my left hand feels extremely tired.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

#

Having said that, there is a derangement of lipids in your body and at this age of 37, it is alarming. Possibility of getting diseases is very high in these circumstances.

You are having high cholesterol and other parameters of lipid profile. It throws some light on your daily life habits and lifestyle. Maybe you do not exercise regularly. You may be having a sedentary lifestyle that causes low energy and weakness in the body. Your thyroid is alright and working as it has to be.

The thing is you are having high uric acid levels, fasting blood sugar levels, and other parameters of diabetes that suggest you may get diabetes very easily if you do not go for a weight loss and exercise in near future.

You are right, I work in the IT field, I do not move much and I am not exercising. I also broke my leg six years ago, and I have metal now in it. Since then, I gained 25 kg which I could not lose.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

#

Vitamin D is an important part of energy house of the body. You need to consult your physician to maintain it in normal limits. It is low right now.

The overall scenario is that you need to join the gym right away. Make it a habit and you would start getting better in coming weeks. You need to make it a habit and for that, I would encourage you to read a book named "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business" by Charles Duhigg. Your gym instructor would make it easy for you to lose weight in different ways. Your leg issues would no more be a hindrance to get in shape again.

All the issues you have right now seem to be due to the causes aforementioned. You need to overcome these in order to get a life full of energy.

Hope this concludes your concerns for today. Have a blessed time ahead.

Thanks for the explanation, I will go to the gym for sure. And thanks for the book advice too.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

#

You are welcome anytime. Hope it would help you.

Why is my left foot numb?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned numbness in the inner part of the left foot as your main symptom. Most commonly numbness is a manifestation of a nerve involvement, it can be compression of the nerve at an anatomical site like in back or anywhere along the course of the nerve or it ...  Read Full

My energy levels are low, and feel sad and cranky. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor, Lying all day not interested in literally anything, energy levels low, feel tired without any reasons, sad, cranky and not doing any work. This happens in cycles, might work for a day and then shut off for weeks doing nothing productive and feeling stuck. Been quite a long time experi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from major depressive disorder. You need to take medication for your disorder and be active in your life. Try to do exercise daily like just go for walk for 30 to 45 minutes, take good food avoid junk food, take good sound sleep at least 6 to 8 ...  Read Full