Q. Please explain the dosage of Prednisolone after cataract surgery.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Nov 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I am writing this to get your kind suggestion regarding my mother (Age: 56 years). Two years back, she had her cataract surgery for both eyes PCIOL. After having the surgery she was fine while she had these following drugs:

1. Neopred.

2. Xirom.

3. Optimox.

She was under these drops for one month but after stopping the use of those drops she was having severe eye pain with redness. So, we went to the doctor again and he prescribed Prednisolone eye drop for multiple times a day. But when she completes the dose of Prednisolone, then again she gets the same eye pain and redness. And the doctor again prescribed the same Prednisolone drop with high dose (every hour) but we know that Prednisolone is not good for long time use as it is steroid. So, in this circumstances I am seeking your kind suggestion on the above. Please suggest us what should we do.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Your mother has post operative uveitis which happens in some patients after cataract surgery. The treatment is:

1. We try to find out any cause for recurrent inflammation. If there is no cause then we treat the inflammation. If there is some inciting factor present (like IOL in sulcus irritating iris, vitreous loss, etc.), then we treat the cause.

2. Only treatment available is steroids (best steroid is Prednisolone). If recurrent inflammation then we start with high dose and taper slowly.

3. I would like to add Nepafenac eyedrop because recurrent inflammation may cause cystoid macular edema.

4. Yes, you are right. Steroids if used for long time can cause glaucoma but do not worry. If patient is not sensitive to steroids then intraocular pressure will not increase in this short duration.

5. Moreover, your surgeon will keep assessing pressure inside eye and will stop steroids if pressure increases. So, please do not worry and keep medication as per your surgeon instructions.

| 

Age Related Cataract and its Management

Article Overview: Age-related cataract is the most common cause of blindness that can be prevented. Learn about its causes and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Cataract is a decrease in transparency of the natural crystalline lens present in the eye. This lens, as in a camera, helps transmitted light to focus on the retina. Causes of Cataract: Age related cataract is the most common type. Other causes of cataract can be: Congenital (for example - inf...  Read Article

Are Wysolone, HCQS, Saaz and Shelcal safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 26 years old and she is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for the past one year. Now, she is pregnant. Her tablet pattern is Wysolone 2.5 mg in alternative days, HCQS 0-0-1, Saaz 1-1-1 and Shelcal 0-0-1. The lab tests performed were ANA 1+, RA factor less than 20. Are the...  Read Full »

Which is the most advanced surgery for cataract without pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is diagnosed with cataract. The prescription of an eye specialist is attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Doctor has recommended for surgery and has prescribed some tests before surgery. My question is what is the most advanced surgery available at pres...  Read Full »