Q. How to recover from intermittent cervical pain?

Dr. Riazahmed Syed
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 01, 2019

Last year started to work out in the gym for six months and made good gains in strength-wise and stamina wise. After some months, my left arm became very hard and painful while doing weights. Later cervical pain also started. And because of it, I have stopped my gym activity completely. Orthopedic referred me for physiotherapy after taking cervical and spinal MRI.

Currently, the cervical pain is intermittent and left arm still pains if any weight is lifted. I have noticed one thing while doing bench press the pressure comes on behind the neck muscles. Someone told me about nerve hardening. Also, left-hand faces are tingling if I sleep on the left side. I am doing physio exercise regularly. I want to recover and restart my gym activity. It has been over a year, and still, the problem is not getting resolved. I do not even know what steps to take towards recovery.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology
#

I reviewed your symptoms, and it seems at second levels of the upper neck, a cervical region the disc bulges are pressing on C4, C5, C6 roots, and incidentally, it supplies shoulder girdle as well upper arm muscles including biceps. The paraesthesia, what we call for tingling sensation is again because of the above.

First of all, I would advise to be off from weight lifting for a few months and not only that any heavy lifting objects, riding a two-wheeler, sleeping with high pillow must be restricted. For physical exercise, you can have walking briskly, and I insist on undergoing planned programmed physical therapy in your place itself. If pain persists, you can have Naproxen 500 to 1000 mg daily for 10 days. Proper sitting methods while in a job and avoid computer screen viewing for hours and altering your lifestyle would alleviate and make you feel better over time, instead if you strain yourself with heavy gym exercise, things will go worse.

You may need repeat MRI after 6 to 10 months to assess the size of disc protrusion

Naproxen 500 to 1000 mg once a day for 10 days.

Avoid intense exercise.

It has been more than a year, I have stopped the exercise. And it is more than six months of daily physiotherapy. But it is not helping.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology
#

It is good you are off from gym exercise, but I insist on being away from driving two-wheeler as well others as mentioned in my report before. A soft collar may assist you for an undue strain on the neck but to use time to time and not permanently. Sitting posture, especially with computers, needs to be rectified and your physio therapist may help in all these.

I am having pain shooting down from my neck down to my fingers. What it could be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain shooting down from my neck (just behind my right ear) down into my fingers. Also, on my right side near my breast with a slight headache as well. What it could be?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely a cervical pain, due to compression of nerves between the spine. Does this pain increases on neck movement, is it associated with tingling, numbness in the arm or any neck trauma, if yes then it supports the diagnosis. You will need an X-ray of cervical ...  Read Full

I need an opinion regarding my neck x-ray.

Query: Hi doctor, I need an opinion regarding the x-rays of my neck. I met with two car accidents and have chronic neck pain and stiffness. What could be wrong?  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I will recommend sending me a detailed history and clinical examination findings as well as I would like to recommend an MRI cervical spine. Flexion and extension views look normal except C4...  Read Full

I have chronic neck and back pain with severe neck stiffness. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic neck and back pain that can cause either severe neck stiffness or sharp pain. Most of the pain seems to originate in the front of the neck (SCM muscle) or the cervical spine area. Pain radiates to mid-back and causes spasms of my shoulder blades. Lots of popping when tu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have studied your case. Due to compression of this nerve root, there can be a sharp pain in your arm and back with a shoulder. I will advise you to send your MRI cervical spine for better diagnosis. For these symptoms, analgesic and neurotropic medication can be star...  Read Full