Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What are these boils that my brother has on his eyelids?

Answered by
Dr. C M Wavikar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 17, 2016

Hello doctor,

I am asking this question on behalf of my brother. He is 37 years of age, 5' 7" tall and approximately weighs 70 kg. He is not on any medication. He is a commercial airline pilot by profession and is perfectly fit to fly. He has recently passed his physical fitness exam that is conducted each year. A year back, there was a boil in only one eyelid. But, the bulge was barely noticeable from outside and even from inside the eyelid. Also, there was very slight uneasiness and no irritation or pain a year back. Since there was very minimal discomfort, he did not pursue any treatment.

Now, in the past 1.5 months, he has got boils in both the eyes that are noticeably larger and caused him some irritation and pain. His eyesight is better (same as always) and he still able and authorized to fly. Although we hold neutral beliefs in alternative medicine and believe it might be effective in the long-term, we are seeking quick and efficient advice or treatment. Especially considering my brother's profession and his subsequent flight physical exams that he must clear this coming year. However, we prefer to avoid any surgical treatment unless and until absolutely necessary.

I have attached a high resolution picture of my brother's eyes. Please give some advice that you can. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be sure to respond at the earliest. I am not sure whether it is a cyst or a stye or a chalazion or something else. Frankly, I have very minimal knowledge of their differences. Yet, I feel and hope it is nothing severe and can be cured with proper medicines and lifestyle habits.

Dr. C M Wavikar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to

  • From the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears to be a chalazion on both the eyes.
  • I suggest Vigamox eye drops (Moxifloxacin), one drop four times a day and Chloro applicap (Chloramphenicol) twice a day in both the eyes.
  • Please understand that it is better to get the eye examined by an eye surgeon and take treatment as the diagnosis on photo may not be as accurate. In case, it does not resolve in a week, you must show it to an eye surgeon.
  • In the meanwhile, to avoid recurrence of chalazion, it is better to maintain good eyelid hygiene. Ask him to get treated for dandruff, if he has it.

Revert back after a week to an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. We were also suggested to take Augmentin 625 mg and Pantop 40. Is it safe to take them along with your treatment? I certainly do not mean to second guess your diagnosis and I am sorry if it sounds so. But, we were also told that it could be a bilateral cyst. Lastly, in either case, from your instinct and experience, this would not be a major cause for concern for us if suggested medications and remedies are followed. Am I right?

Dr. C M Wavikar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to

  • You can safely start the tablets suggested.
  • Yes, it is not dangerous, but better to have it treated.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Slept with my contacts on. Now, there is a white cloud blocking my vision. Help.
What are the precautions to be taken for an infant while flying?
I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the treatment for chalazion?

Query: Hi doctor, I have chalazion in my right eye for the past eight months. What should I do? Please tell me.  Read Full »

Are these small wounds on my eyelid due to heat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had Lasik in the beginning of last year. I have a dandruff issue with my hair. After a few months of surgery, occasionally I had eye itching. When I visited my doctor, he said that it is due to dandruff and asked to clean eyelid with baby shampoo. After cleaning, I used to feel relieved...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.