Q. My mom gets recurrent eye irritation with a pimple and discharge in lower eyelid. Please help.

Dr. Angeline Bonne Pati Regadio

May I please consult on behalf of my senior citizen mother who has been suffering from eye irritation for the past four days. She tells me that last month, a pimple-like thing grew in the lower portion of her left eye. After about three days, a yellowish substance was expelled therefrom and she felt fine. However, four days ago, these pimple-like things came back and it grew on the lower portion of her left eye, causing her to suffer pain especially, when she blinks. Please suggest.

Dr. Angeline Bonne Pati Regadio

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

According to your mother’s signs and symptoms, she may be suffering from hordeolum, it is an acute infection caused by bacteria. It can recur. It is more common in adults. It is usually self-limited and can improve in one or two weeks. Medical therapy for hordeola includes eyelid hygiene (lid scrubs), warm compresses of the lesions for 10 minutes four times per day, and topical antibiotic ointments such as Erythromycin ointment four-six times a day or every six hours. Please ensure that the patient does not have any allergic reactions to any antibiotic, especially Erythromycin and the same drug class.

Chalazion.

Hordeolum.

Avoid touching the eyes.
Frequent hand wash.

Follow up after seven days.

| 

We will get back to you if the condition does not improve.

Dr. Angeline Bonne Pati Regadio

Family Physician General Practitioner

How to stop the discharge released from my left eye?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an eye discharge from my left eye for a week. I thought I have the discharge because of my contact lens (first-time user). I used it for a few days. But I stopped using it now because of the eye discharge. I have eye discharge only from my left eye when I wake up in the morning. S...  Read Full »

Am I getting frequent stye because of antibiotic resistance?

Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago, I had an internal stye and my doctor prescribed oral antibiotics. But, in the end, it became a chalazion, plus some pus was drained. Now, the stye is coming back and it itches a lot (I can see a big white spot in my eyelid margin). It is not as bad as it was before, b...  Read Full »

My 1 month old baby is suffering from severe gas trouble. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is 1 month old. I am having a really tough time both physically and mentally. I hope you can help me out. At around 3 weeks, my baby started having gas trouble. I gave gripe water as per guidance from my parents. When I searched on the internet, I found that it is bad for bab...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now