Q. My mom gets recurrent eye irritation with a pimple and discharge in lower eyelid. Please help.

Dr. Angeline Bonne Sugue Pati

May I please consult on behalf of my senior citizen mother who has been suffering from eye irritation for the past four days. She tells me that last month, a pimple-like thing grew in the lower portion of her left eye. After about three days, a yellowish substance was expelled therefrom and she felt fine. However, four days ago, these pimple-like things came back and it grew on the lower portion of her left eye, causing her to suffer pain especially, when she blinks. Please suggest.

#

According to your mother’s signs and symptoms, she may be suffering from hordeolum, it is an acute infection caused by bacteria. It can recur. It is more common in adults. It is usually self-limited and can improve in one or two weeks. Medical therapy for hordeola includes eyelid hygiene (lid scrubs), warm compresses of the lesions for 10 minutes four times per day, and topical antibiotic ointments such as Erythromycin ointment four-six times a day or every six hours. Please ensure that the patient does not have any allergic reactions to any antibiotic, especially Erythromycin and the same drug class.

Chalazion.

Hordeolum.

Avoid touching the eyes.
Frequent hand wash.

Follow up after seven days.

We will get back to you if the condition does not improve.

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

|