Q. My mom gets recurrent eye irritation with a pimple and discharge in lower eyelid. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Angeline Bonne Sugue Pati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2020

Hello doctor,

May I please consult on behalf of my senior citizen mother who has been suffering from eye irritation for the past four days. She tells me that last month, a pimple-like thing grew in the lower portion of her left eye. After about three days, a yellowish substance was expelled therefrom and she felt fine. However, four days ago, these pimple-like things came back and it grew on the lower portion of her left eye, causing her to suffer pain especially, when she blinks. Please suggest.



Welcome to

According to your mother’s signs and symptoms, she may be suffering from hordeolum, it is an acute infection caused by bacteria. It can recur. It is more common in adults. It is usually self-limited and can improve in one or two weeks. Medical therapy for hordeola includes eyelid hygiene (lid scrubs), warm compresses of the lesions for 10 minutes four times per day, and topical antibiotic ointments such as Erythromycin ointment four-six times a day or every six hours. Please ensure that the patient does not have any allergic reactions to any antibiotic, especially Erythromycin and the same drug class.

Differential diagnosis:


Probable diagnosis:


Preventive measures:

Avoid touching the eyes.
Frequent hand wash.

Regarding follow up:

Follow up after seven days.

Thank you doctor,

We will get back to you if the condition does not improve.



Welcome back to

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My right eye is itchy, and I feel pain at the corner of the eye when I blink. Please help.

.. the photograph, (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that you have inflammation on the eyelid. It is called Hordeolum which might be internal or external. You can use a hot compress with warm water and cotton three times a da...   Read full

I am having explosive diarrhea since three months. Please help.

.. symptoms, you could have a chronic infection or inflammatory condition of the colon associated with malabsorption. It could be a number of things so we need to approach in a stepwise manner. If symptoms are associated with certain food intakes li...   Read full

How to reduce the discharge coming from my left eye?

They can occur due to viral or bacterial conjunctivitis ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»
Fallopian Tubes - Anatomy, Function, and Diseases Affecting It
Fallopian tubes are important structures of the female reproductive tract. This article discusses the same below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.