Chemical Injury

Will chemical injury to the eye need lifelong treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a chemical injury to my eye, which got resolved with steroid treatment. The doctor said to put ointment in every night. I got new glasses last week, and he said that it was like taking paint off a door. I have taken a film off my eye. He said I would need to put drops for a lifetim...  Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What happens in chemical injury is that the acid or alkali penetrates deep into the eye's tissue, reaching to the lens and angle of the eye at times as well. Since your vision has resolved, there is least likely that a deep penetration has occurred. Nevertheless, the...  Read Full »

How to treat blisters on the shoulder and arm due to butane explosion?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is having blisters on the back of her shoulder and arm due to a butane explosion. She has water coming out of it every time while moving. What can I do for these blisters? Kindly help.   Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your mother is having irritant contact dermatitis due to exposure to gas. She can use Fusidic cream on the blister in the morning and evening after having sterile aspiration of the blister. She can take tablet Cefadroxil 500 mg twice daily for...  Read Full »

How to treat blurred vision due to spraying deodorant in eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, This morning by mistake I sprayed the body deodorant directly into my eyes. Thereafter, I cleaned my eyes thoroughly with water and put some V.Rohto drops in them. The whole day has passed but the vision in my left eye is still blurry. Is it something urgent to be taken care of and shoul...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not an emergency. You can use Rohto drops (Naphazoline hydrochloride), along with it start using lubricants like Refresh tears eyedrops or Tears naturale (Carboxymethylcellulose, Dextran, etc) eyedrops once every three hours. Wash out all of the chemical from your e...  Read Full »

My teeth are rough after accidentally swallowing Harpic. How should I treat it?

Query: Hello doctor, I accidentally swallowed Harpic (toilet cleaner) but immediately puked it. It did not go in my stomach. But my teeth are feeling rough even after brushing.What should I do? Will this roughness last for a long time? How should I treat it?  Read Full »

Dr. Geethanjali Sadasivam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and the relevant details. The Harpic cleaner contains various chemicals which are acidic and these when exposed to tooth surfaces would cause enamel roughness. That is the reason you have such a feeling in spite of brushing. I cannot gua...  Read Full »

I accidentally got eyelash remover gel in my eye. Do I have to go to the ER?

Query: Hello doctor, I accidentally got eyelash remover gel in my eye. I flushed it out with water for 15 minutes at 6.30 PM and then again at 8 PM. It still seems red, burns, and my vision is a bit blurry. The gel has these ingredients: propylene carbonate, polyethylene glycol, ethoxyethanol, methoxy eth...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should visit a doctor immediately since it is a chemical injury. Even after washing your eyes, if the vision is blurry and there are spots on the eye, then you will need treatment. Chemical injuries are of two types - acidic and alkaline. They can damage the corn...  Read Full »