Q. I accidentally ingested nail polish remover. What are the possible side effects?

Published on Aug 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

I have a question about the side effects of ingesting a small amount of nail polish remover. Here is the scenario. My girlfriend used the nail polish remover on her hands to take off her polish. Immediately after that, we were making out. So, I kind of sucked her fingers and nails. I felt this weird taste on my tongues and lips. A few minutes later, I remembered something about nail polish removers being posionous. I rinsed my mouth, but only about 30 minutes after licking the nail polish remover. I brushed twice, and since then I have had dinner and brushed again, but my mouth still has that weird taste. Do I need to worry about poisoning due to licking the nail polish remover or is there no reason to worry?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• This amount of ingestion of nail polish removal followed by rinsing is not going to cause any ill effects to you except, a change in taste for a few days and oral ulcerations maximum. I do not find any reason to worry.

If you have any further queries please ask me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for calming my nerves. I was not able to rinse it immediately though. I only rinsed it like 30 to 40 minutes after licking it. Is that still fine?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• I do not find any reason to worry. The nail polish remover is toxic either in good amounts like a complete bottle or in chronic daily exposure scenarios. Both are not true in your case.

Just chill and enjoy. Take care.

| 

I often get a mouth ulcer. What is the reason for this?

Query: Hello doctor,I often get a mouth ulcer which is in the form of oval shape and white in color. When I get this, I apply Mucopain gel and take Riboflavin tablet 10 mg. Can you please let me know the reason for this?  Read Full »

Why am I having white spots on gums?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a small white dot on my gums. It looks like a whitehead. I noticed it a couple of days ago. It is painless. It is just above my left canine. I do not know what it is. It is towards the top of the gum. I have attached the photo. Can you suggest what it could be? I am scared of the de...  Read Full »