Q. I accidentally ingested nail polish remover. What are the possible side effects?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

I have a question about the side effects of ingesting a small amount of nail polish remover. Here is the scenario. My girlfriend used the nail polish remover on her hands to take off her polish. Immediately after that, we were making out. So, I kind of sucked her fingers and nails. I felt this weird taste on my tongues and lips. A few minutes later, I remembered something about nail polish removers being posionous. I rinsed my mouth, but only about 30 minutes after licking the nail polish remover. I brushed twice, and since then I have had dinner and brushed again, but my mouth still has that weird taste. Do I need to worry about poisoning due to licking the nail polish remover or is there no reason to worry?

#

• This amount of ingestion of nail polish removal followed by rinsing is not going to cause any ill effects to you except, a change in taste for a few days and oral ulcerations maximum. I do not find any reason to worry.

If you have any further queries please ask me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for calming my nerves. I was not able to rinse it immediately though. I only rinsed it like 30 to 40 minutes after licking it. Is that still fine?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• I do not find any reason to worry. The nail polish remover is toxic either in good amounts like a complete bottle or in chronic daily exposure scenarios. Both are not true in your case.

Just chill and enjoy. Take care.

|