Q. I have a swollen lymph node due to canker sore. Is it normal?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am a 30 year old male. I have a canker sore. I was wondering if it is common to have a swollen right lymph node with tenderness, body pain, and tiredness along with the sore. Please explain.

#

• Cankersore also referred as aphthous ulcer, is a non-specific ulceration of non-keratinous mucous membrane of the mouth.
  • The exact cause why these occur is not clear. Irritation of mucous membrane due to acidic foods and citrous foods could be a possibility.
  • Pain is quite intense in the initial phase. Also, lymph node enlargement is observed (as in your case).
  • To treat this avoid irritating foods like acidic and spicy foods.
  • To help early healing, a course of Doxycycline 100 mg once a day for eight days may be taken. Also, I suggest Chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash twice a day.
  • Folic acid supplements may be helpful for prevention. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

Spicy foods or other irritating foods.

Avoid spicy foods.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|