Q. I have a swollen lymph node due to canker sore. Is it normal?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

I am a 30 year old male. I have a canker sore. I was wondering if it is common to have a swollen right lymph node with tenderness, body pain, and tiredness along with the sore. Please explain.

Do you have a question on Canker Sore or Aphthous Ulcer?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

MBBS ., CCEBDM., DIPLOMA IN DIABETES MELLITUS., DIPLOMA IN CLINICAL NUTRITION & DIETETICS.., CCDR., CCMTD
Diabetology General Practitioner

• Cankersore also referred as aphthous ulcer, is a non-specific ulceration of non-keratinous mucous membrane of the mouth.
  • The exact cause why these occur is not clear. Irritation of mucous membrane due to acidic foods and citrous foods could be a possibility.
  • Pain is quite intense in the initial phase. Also, lymph node enlargement is observed (as in your case).
  • To treat this avoid irritating foods like acidic and spicy foods.
  • To help early healing, a course of Doxycycline 100 mg once a day for eight days may be taken.¬†Also, I suggest Chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash twice a day.
  • Folic acid supplements may be helpful for prevention. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

Spicy foods or other irritating foods.

Avoid spicy foods.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Truly speaking, MTHFR - methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase mutations are widely spread and all most one half of the population is having or carrying these mutations by different extent. By different extent, I mean to say, various levels of affection or involvement t...  Read Full »

I often get a mouth ulcer. What is the reason for this?
Query: Hello doctor,I often get a mouth ulcer which is in the form of oval shape and white in color. When I get this, I apply Mucopain gel and take Riboflavin tablet 10 mg. Can you please let me know the reason for this?  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your complaint, you are suffering from recurrent aphthous ulcers which is causing you the eruption of ulcers on the tongue. It can be caused due to a number of reasons like: Stress. Nutritional deficiency (iron, vitamin B12, and Folic acid). Hormonal chang...  Read Full »

How can I stop getting tingling sensation in teeth?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a fuzzy feeling in my teeth. Kind of like a tingling it is not really pain but it sends chills through my gums and it has been going on for like four days. How should I stop it?  Read Full »
Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Try using Sensodyne sensitive or any toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Apply toothpaste on teeth that are giving you tingling sensations for 2 or 3 minutes like cream then after it do gentle brushing, not vigorous one. Follow this routine for two weeks. Use Chlorhexidine mo...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now