Aphthous Ulcer

What could be a white spot on the gum and a small lump on the chin which hurts on touching?

Query: Hello doctor, I have white spots on the left side of my gum and it hurts really bad. I have a sore throat and a small lump on my left side of my chin that hurts when I touch it. What do you think this is?  Read Full »

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your short history, it seems that you may be having a gingival abscess or pericoronitis (if the last erupting tooth is involved). However, the picture of the lesion would have made things clear as to which site is involved and the state of the tooth invol...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in the uvula while swallowing voluntarily?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 17-year-old female. The back of my uvula starts to hurt since yesterday. It hurts only when I pretend to swallow. But when I swallow water or food, it does not hurt. It hurts only on my left side. I have checked, and it was not swollen and looks normal. I tried touching it and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Went through your symptoms, it would have been great if you could click a photograph and send as sometimes few minor changes go unnoticed. However, I believe that the uvula is not swollen. In this case it appears as a case of an aphthous ulcer on the uvula. It may n...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for swelling in gum with metallic taste?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night I went to bed after feeling fine all day, and when I laid down I got a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. When I felt the bottom gum right at the back there appeared to be a fluid-filled swelling on the top of the gum (there are no teeth in that part of my mouth), and wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Tarun Gupta

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. The condition you wrote may be due to several reasons:- 1) Due to burning by hot drink is possible but usually, it is seen in the anterior (front) of mouth. 2) It can be aphthous ulcer which is normally seen in the mouth but they are painful. 3)...  Read Full »

Does canker sore make lymph node swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I have a canker sore. I was wondering if it is common to have a swollen right lymph node with tenderness, body pain, and tiredness along with the sore. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cankersore also referred as aphthous ulcer, is a non-specific ulceration of non-keratinous mucous membrane of the mouth. The exact cause why these occur is not clear. Irritation of mucous membrane due to acidic foods and citrous foods could be a possibility. Pain is quite...  Read Full »

Is drinking nail polish remover dangerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the side effects of ingesting a small amount¬†of nail polish remover. Here is the scenario. My girlfriend used the nail polish remover on her hands to take off her polish. Immediately after that, we were making out. So, I kind of sucked her fingers and nails. I ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This amount of ingestion of nail polish removal followed by rinsing is not going to cause any ill effects to you except, a change in taste for a few days and oral ulcerations maximum. I do not find any reason to worry. If you have any further queries please ask me. For...  Read Full »

Why am I having white spots on gums?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a small white dot on my gums. It looks like a whitehead. I noticed it a couple of days ago. It is painless. It is just above my left canine. I do not know what it is. It is towards the top of the gum. I have attached the photo. Can you suggest what it could be? I am scared of the de...  Read Full »

Dr. Paras Angrish

Dentist, Pedodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like a minor aphthous ulcer, which gives no pain and subsides by itself. Please check if there is any pus discharge, pain in the tooth and any other area of the mouth also has this kind of spots. Aphthous ulcer often causes minimal symptoms or problems. Oral u...  Read Full »

What is the white spot behind my lower molar with swelling and soreness?

Query: Hello doctor, I have just noticed a white spot embedded in my gum behind my lower back molar teeth. The area is a bit swollen and is a little sore. My throat is also a bit swollen and a little sore.  Read Full »

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your query and I can understand your concern. I need to know if you have any cavity or carious tooth near that sore. If yes, it might be due to the infection of the tooth which is exudating via the gum. However, if no carious tooth is there, then...  Read Full »

How can I deal with a canker sore on my lip?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a canker sore on the inside of my bottom lip for a couple of months now. It is not really painful, but every time it starts to heal it gets irritated by my teeth, or I bite my lip and it prevents it from healing. What can I do to help the healing process?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Two months of aphthous ulcer in the mouth that too without a pain is not a good thing. You need to upload certain pictures of your sore so that any dangerous lesion can be ruled out today. Also, if your u...  Read Full »

I often get a mouth ulcer. What is the reason for this?

Query: Hello doctor,I often get a mouth ulcer which is in the form of oval shape and white in color. When I get this, I apply Mucopain gel and take Riboflavin tablet 10 mg. Can you please let me know the reason for this?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your complaint, you are suffering from recurrent aphthous ulcers which is causing you the eruption of ulcers on the tongue. It can be caused due to a number of reasons like: Stress. Nutritional deficiency (iron, vitamin B12, and Folic acid). Hormonal chang...  Read Full »

What can be done for frequent mouth ulcers?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an oral ulcer problem. I always get big oral ulcers. Presently, I have three big ulcers. Please help me out.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Ahmed

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your statement, it seems that you are having recurrent oral ulcers. Well, I would like to inform you that most commonly, we have two types of oral ulcers. Herpetic ulcers: which is of viral origin. It spreads from one person to another and its treatment is Ac...  Read Full »