Q. Does my X-ray indicate that I have had tuberculosis in the past?

Dr. Chitrangada
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Attached herewith is a detailed report of an X-ray with previous pathological indications. Kindly advice.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

• Chest X-ray as per reports: There is a mild prominence of broncho-vascular markings noted in the visualized bilateral lung fields consistent with bronchitis. Fibrotic changes are seen involving the right upper zone, however no active infiltrates are seen in the present radiograph likely due to the sequel to an old infective etiology.
  • Rest of the bilateral lung fields otherwise appear homogenous and clear. No focal lesion is noted. The hilar shadows on each side appear symmetrical and within normal limits.
  • Bilateral cardiophrenic and costophrenic angles appear sharp and clear. The cardiac silhouette appears within normal limits of size and shape. Aortic shadow is normal.
  • Bony thorax appears normal. No fracture or focal lytic or sclerotic lesion is seen.
  • It is my opinion that the mild prominence of broncho-vascular markings seen in the visualized bilateral lung fields is consistent with bronchitis.
  • Fibrotic changes are seen involving the right upper zone, however no active infiltrates are seen in the present radiograph, likely due to the sequel to old infective etiology.
  • This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of the report or image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Does this indicate an old TB scar or any other infection?

#

• Yes, the fibrotic changes in the right upper zone can be due to an old TB (tuberculosis) infection but no active infiltrates are seen.

I am actually flying abroad for work. Can this X-ray easily indicate previous TB history?

#

• Yes, but broadly they will label it as a sequel to an old infective etiology which may or may not be only tuberculosis. But, more probability is given to tuberculosis.

|