Q. Why is my 2 months old son suffering with dry cough?

Dr. Sirisha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Sneha Kannan
Published on Feb 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 17, 2019

My son is 2 months old and he is suffering with dry cough over the last 3 days. We consulted local doctor and he advised TA-65 capsule which can be taken by mixing one capsule in 10 cc of distilled water. He advised to use 2 mL of this mixture for 3 days. My question is how exactly does TA-65 work for cough?

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

Your kid is probably suffering from some throat infection or lung infection (respiratory infection).

TA - 65 is a telomerase activator, it comes in capsule form. It is used to boost immune system, skin and given for sexual improvement. It has no role in cough and it is not given in children. I advice you to not to give this medicine to a child.

1. If your child is having wheezing with cough, then he should be receiving nebulization, cough drops and if fever also then he might require antibiotic.
  2. Is there any difficulty in breathing? Is he unable to feed well? Or is he dull? These symptoms prompt us to do some investigations like CBP, CRP and chest x- ray. If symptoms are mild we prefer medication and home treatment itself.
  3. It is difficult to judge the child's condition without actually seeing the child, but these medicines might help presuming the child to be 4 to 4.5 kg.

You should probably consult a different pediatrician there as rest of medication like antibiotics or medicated nebulization or any investigation needed. It cannot be advised without examining the child.

Viral infection of respiratory tract.

1. CBP (complete blood picture).
2. CRP (C-reactive protein).
3. Chest x-ray if required.

1. Upper respiratory infection.
2. Bronchiolitis.

1) Kufril LS drops (Ambroxol hydrochloride and Salbutamol), 4 drops, three times a day.
2) Nebulization with 3% NaCl (Sodium chloride), 3-4 times a day as required.

Avoid cold weather and maintain hygiene.

Will Sinarest help in throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a bad throat and unable to speak. I have started Augmentin 625 since yesterday with no relief so far.  Read Full »

My infant has chest retractions due to severe cold. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, My 24 days old baby is suffering from cold which retracts her chest making noisy breathing sound liƙe there is thick mucus in the chest. We are using Amoxicillin suspension but there is still no improvement. The doctor has now placed her on Cefixime suspension 2.5 mL twice a day. Do ...  Read Full »

Would Zantac make allergy skin test false positive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of coughing for a few weeks here and there in spring and fall. It will be fine after about three weeks. Then, my throat will start to itch, and I will begin to have trouble talking. Later, I start coughing explosively. Once I get to the coughing phase, my eyes start...  Read Full »