Q. In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

A chest x-ray is a routine part of any pre-employment checkup. Your query regarding reporting of x-ray as bilateral inhomogeneous opacities suggests old or active infection most probably tuberculosis. So, it is advisable to do sputum AFB test (acid-fast bacilli) to rule out whether it is an active or old infection. Usually, only the presence of inhomogeneous opacities does not make the person unfit for the job. A medical examination is done as a part of a pre-employment checkup for working abroad. Certain countries are very peculiar about some communicable diseases like tuberculosis.

If the old or active infection is noted on x-ray, the candidate is declared unfit for the job. So. if your x-ray is reported as same as the other I advise you to do sputum AFB test and chest specialist consultation. If the report is positive, you can complete the full course and take a certificate from the treating physician before you apply for next job.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|