Q. My cholesterol level is low with high triglycerides. Is there a need to increase my statin dosage?

Dr. Isaac Gana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a 76-year-old male. I have the following conditions.

1. IHD for many years (T wave inversion). Recently undergone TMT and 2D echo. Both are negative.

2. Mild BP is normal and under control.

3. Thyroid under control.

4. Diabetes for five years and under control.

5. Prostatomegaly for five years is normal and under control.

I am taking the following medicines,

Betacard 50 mg, Glycomet 500 mg twice, Atorva 10 mg, Amtas 10 mg, Thyronorm 75 mcg, Deplatt 75 mg, Urimax D 0.4 mg.

I have attached my lipid profile as well. I observed that though my cholesterol levels showed a decrease over two years, there is a marked increase in triglycerides from last year. I have been taking Atorva or some other statin right for 13 years. The apparent reason for me is recently I have been taking some snacks (like mixture, save, etc.) quite often. Besides that, I take biscuits two pieces twice a day besides some bakery products. Apart from that, I do not eat much-fried foods. I do not take ghee or vanaspati.

I regularly walk for four km at a stretch. I am not sedentary. I do not drink or smoke. Now my question is whether I have to increase my statin dosage from 10 mg to 20 mg or so. Or does 10 mg is sufficient for these levels? My attending doctor did not say anything. Also, I have been taking Clopidogrel. Two years have been passed. Can I stop or do I have to continue. If so, how long? Please advise on Atorva and Deplatt.

Do you have a question on Low Cholesterol or Statin?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Isaac Gana

TERNOPIL STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY UKRAINE, MD., CARDIOLOGY SPECIALITY
Cardiology

I have gone through your explanation in detail. Your triglycerides level is at borderline, not high. You do not have to increase the Statin dosage all you need is to readjust your diet. Reduce the snacks and eat more vegetables and fruits. You should continue taking the Clopidogrel, it will reduce your chance of a heart event, so you cannot stop it. You might need to take it for as long as possible.

Continue with the Atorva (Atorvastatin) and Deplatt (Clopidogrel) too, once you are not experiencing any adverse reactions from use. They could be a substitute, or the dosage can be increased if after you changed your diet, yet the triglycerides level keeps rising. I hope I was of help to you.

What can be done for numb and swollen feet and legs?
Query: Hello doctor, I am contacting you on behalf of my grandmother who is suffering from a number of issues and advice from her regular doctors is not coming up with a decent solution. I have asked her to write down from her point of view about the problems and here it is. Ailments are diabetic, chronic...  Read Full >>
Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you are stating may be due to peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or major depression. Also, there may be associated hypothyroidism. Diabetes affects small nerves of the extremities and results in a non-specific sensory complaint like you stated. Did she ...  Read Full

Do I need any medicine for my thyroid level?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. My weight is 92 kg and height is 5'9". I got tested for cholesterol and thyroid today. I am attaching my report for your reference. I want to know whether I am suffering from hypothyroidism or any other thyroid disorder. Do I need to start any medication for thyro...  Read Full >>
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is slightly high. It means that you are having a thyroid problem (hypothyroidism). But, the value is not very high enough to start any medications for that. Just repeat your thyroid test after three months and revert back with the re...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now