Q. Will Accentrix injection help in getting back normal vision from idiopathic CNVM?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

My wife is 25 years old. Her right eye has been detected of idiopathic CNVM. She had an OCT test already. She has been asked to take three injections of Accentrix with a gap of one month in between each. I read various articles all refer to an injection of a drug called Bevacizumab (brand name Avastin). Are Accentrix and Bevacizumab (brand name Avastin) the same? Is this the only way of treatment? Will this treatment completely cure the Idiopathic CNVM and my wife will have her normal vision back? Which would be the best place for treatment in India? What is the rough cost of the complete treatment?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Avastin and Accentrix are both more or less equally efficacious in CNVM (choroidal neovascular membrane). The difference lies in the fact that Accentrix is FDA (food and drug administration) approved but Avastin is not. In case any side effect appears after injecting Avastin (though very rare) then your treating ophthalmologist will land up in trouble and media will blame him for using Avastin and he may be in soup. It is irony of our nation that due to some uneducated people, doctors are forced to offer costly treatment when cheap options are available.

This is not the only option, but yes, this is the best option. I am sorry but the prognosis is guarded, she may recover fully and gain good vision or she may not attain 6/6 vision again and she may have central scotoma.

Regarding the best place, treatment is same everywhere. You may get the treatment from any place of your choice. Regarding the treatment cost, it is difficult to say. She may need more than three injections also, so be mentally prepared for that also.

|