Q. I am suffering from on and off wheezing. How to get cured?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 31 years old. My height is 5'5" and weight 68 kg. I am suffering from wheezing and finding difficulty with physical activities such as walking as well. I just moved to a new place recently. This onset of wheezing is sudden and I did not observe any trigger. But, dust, pollution and vehicle smoke are in higher level in my new place. I am mostly getting an audible wheezing and sometimes, a mild one. Many years ago, I used some inhalers and I am not using anything currently. Could you please do something earlier?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• You seem to be suffering from acute bronchitis or a lower respiratory tract infection. So, I would advise in such scenario to get a hemogram with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and chest x-ray done.
  • If the chest x-ray and the blood investigations show no sign of infection, then you would be treated for bronchitis.
  • Treatment constitutes anti-allergic drugs like Levocetirizine and Montelukast and in severe cases inhalers containing like Salbutamol and steroid inhalers like Budenoside.
  • In case of severe spasm and coughing, a steroid like Prednisolone can be used for a short course, after being sure that there is no active infection or pneumonia.
  • If you do not have a severe cough or respiratory distress, and your chest is found clear on examination, then a cough syrup containing Salbutamol, Levocetirizine and Dextromethorphan will help you greatly.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

I noticed these symptoms before 10 months and since then, the symptoms have been on and off with little or no relief. The symptoms include wheezing to a varied degree. I have not noticed cough so far. There is a general discomfort and sometimes, accomplishing simple physical tasks like walking and climbing stairs too increase wheezing. Would chest x-ray and hemogram with ESR be sufficient for diagnosis?

#

• From your description, it looks like chronic bronchitis. You would require to get these basic investigations done and take inhaler for a few days.

For further doubts consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

Can normal saline aid in curing cough in a kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6-year-old child is having asthma and is coughing in the night. He uses a nebulizer. I am giving him normal saline. Please help.  Read Full »

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full »

What medicines can I take for throat irritation post LASIK surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years now. Last Monday got LASIK for my eyes and in recovery phase this week. I had cold before that which has increased and continuing till now. I have throat irritation and slight nose block for which I took Otrivin at night for 2 days but still not much improvement. What table...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now